Wired Internet Connection Problems

MrSheen 14:11 24 Dec 2009

Merry Christmas Eve 1st of all...!

I've just spent the morning repairing some corrupt regsitry entries that were preventing my PC from booting up. Once I managed to get it to boot up, I then had to re-install a few things as even though they were physically there on the hard drive, they wouldn't work (something to do with the registry I'm assuming.) So after getting all of my desktop items back, all of my Firefox shortcuts, my Thunderbird e-mails and folders, MS Office re-installed I try the internet, and it doesn't work.

My set up is the broadband modem goes into aa wireless router which is then wired straight into the back of my PC whilst providing wireless to the rest of the house. Now, my PC will only connect when I enable the wireless connection.

Feel a bit daft that after manually repairing some reg entries I now can't even work out how to connect to the internet. :(

Would appreciate anyones help if anyone's checking on here on Christmas Eve...

birdface 15:29 24 Dec 2009

Try turning the modem and the router off for 2 minutes.Switch the Modem on again and leave for 2 minutes then turn the Router on and see if that works.

MrSheen 16:25 24 Dec 2009

Thanks. I should have tried that 1st. Actually found out that in all the mess, the drivers for the Ethernet port had been affected, so I just went into Device Manager and re-installed them. Re-booted everything and it's all okay.

Cheers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?