Wired ethernet connection no longer works.

dneill 16:56 17 Aug 2006

I had a good network coonection between 2 pc`s using a direct connection from one ethernet card to another. The host computer is connected to the internet by a USB modem. Then one day the client computer reported limited or no connectivity. The host reports no problem. Cannot file share or go on internet on client computer. Cannot file share on host. Tried repairing connection but do not get past "aquiring ip address". Even tried new network card. Any ideas.

ade.h 17:22 17 Aug 2006

Peer-to-peer networks can be difficult, as you're asking one PC to do a lot of what a router or dedicated server does. I have found that the IP problem can often be fixed with manual assignment of IPs on both host and client.

dneill 17:31 17 Aug 2006

Tried that still no luck. Would the easiest solution be the connect via a hub?

mgmcc 21:54 17 Aug 2006

Connecting the two computers via a hub instead of directly with a 'crossover' cable shouldn't make any difference.

Try disabling "Internet Connection Sharing" in the Host PC, set its Local Area Connection to get its IP address automatically (it will get a "169.254" address with Limited or No Connectivity), reboot the PC and then re-enable "Internet Connection Sharing", which will allocate the IP address 192.168.0.1 to the Local Area Connection again.

Newuser4165 10:20 18 Aug 2006

Check the Windows Firewall setting on the pcs.

ade.h 13:57 18 Aug 2006

He should already have disabled the ICF as it prevents ad-hoc networking.

dneill 16:59 18 Aug 2006

Tried all of that still no luck. Have just ordered a router hope that ends my problems. Will let you know if it does not! Cheers for the help anyway.

ade.h 17:05 18 Aug 2006

What make and model, out of interest?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017