Wired connections work but wireless fails

Varma 19:23 21 Jan 2006

My laptop connections work fine when directly connect to the router . But my Wireless connections fail says limited or no connectivity. ipconfig /renew fails with unable to contact DHCP server. Ip address is not obtained it shows 0.0.0 also when i connect wired and say ipconfig /renew it fails for wireless device but assigns a default ip 169.

Pentium Centrino Mobile chip Dell Laptop.

Tried router restart did not help.

mgmcc 20:31 21 Jan 2006

Have you actually "Connected" to the wireless network? In other words, have you run the wireless adapter's software, scanned for "Available Wireless Networks", found and highlighted the one that matches your router's SSID (network name) and selected the option to "Connect" to it? Once "connected", the little icon will get its "halo" to indicate it is connected to that network and it should then get its correct IP address by DHCP from the router.

Varma 21:29 21 Jan 2006

Yes i did all this it is scanning the wireless network and i did set it up shows an excellent signal strength. So my wireless is working and the laptop is recognizing it no problems but is failing to get the ip address. i have another laptop which is connecting to this same wireles router without any problems. Only thing is with this dell it is failing to get the ip address the ipconfig /renew is failing to contact DHCP server for the wireless connection.

mgmcc 22:33 21 Jan 2006

Right click "My Computer" and select Manage. In the box that opens, click the [+] beside Services and Applications to expand it and select Services. In the right pane, navigate to the DHCP Client service and double click it. Make sure the service is Started and that its Startup Type is set to Automatic.

It might not be relevant, but is worth checking.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017