Wired connection ok but wireless not on line

Britt 22:06 27 Dec 2006

Have just got linskys router for cable broadband and trying to run a pc with windows millenium wired and also laptop with xp wireless. The wired pc works fine but the laptop connects to the router, has excellent signal strength but won't let you access the internet. Cable modem only permits usb connection which desktop copes with and works fine so i can't understand why the laptop won't work?? Took laptop to a friends house and it works fine there...please help??

sugarbabe 22:23 27 Dec 2006

have u got a network key on router. i know obvious bu sometimes miss the obvious

Mad Mick 22:38 27 Dec 2006

The Linksys support team in the call centre in the Phillipines is excellent, and free as far as I know. I used them to set up my Grandaughters laptop and was really impressed with their knowledge.

Woolwell 00:08 28 Dec 2006

Sounds as if you are finding the network but not actually connecting to it. Have you put in the security key?
Perhaps your friend hasn't set up security.
Also try changing the wireless channel you may have something in your house which is causing a problem.

Britt 19:35 29 Dec 2006

have contacted cable and they said reboot the modem and this will allow access..have switched modem off and on again but this doesn't work either??....thanks for your suggestions..how do you change the wireless channel??

woodchip 19:39 29 Dec 2006

You need the setting in the router putting in the Laptop Wireless settings

Woolwell 23:43 29 Dec 2006

Did cable say reboot or reset the router? You may need to reset the router and start from scratch. I am not familiar with the Linksys router though.
As woodchip has stated you can change the channel through the router configuration.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?