Wired connection 1st time

cheqmate06 14:32 19 Mar 2008

Hi

I am looknig to set up a wired connection for my parents. Could someone please let me know what cables and connectors are required in order to do this. I assume that an rj11 connector is from filter to router and then cable from router to pc. My mum does not want wireless as she is worried about security. Have checked the back of PC and there is a phone socket that rj11 fits into. I spoke to friend who said i would be best using rj45 on cat5 cable but having looked i see rj45 connectors are wider and so won't fit in socket. Does this mean i would need to put in ethernet card into pc?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheqmate06

Rtus 14:44 19 Mar 2008

have a look in the links here

click here

xania 14:48 19 Mar 2008

When you decide which ISP to use, they will probably offer you a free modem and you will need to find out whether this is USB or ethernet. I tihnk most provide USB in any case, but if you do need an ethernet card these can be obtained anywhere for about £10

click here

oldbeefer2 14:57 19 Mar 2008

'Does this mean i would need to put in ethernet card into pc?'

Sounds daft, but make sure you have a spare slot first!

cheqmate06 15:00 19 Mar 2008

i was going to replace slot that is used by rj11 connector.

Router is provided through tiscali and is speedtouch 587 and i assume this is ethernet.

harps1h 15:00 19 Mar 2008

to be able to setup a wired connection you need the following
a network (either onboard or a seperate card inside the machine)

a CAT 5 cable

an ethernet capable modem or a dedicated modem/router

a rj45 to rj11 cable

filters for every phone socket in the house.

however having said all that if there a phone socket near to hand, the modem the isp provides isd adequate as it plugging directly into the phone socket so there is no network which can be comprimised. you still need filters on all phone sockets.

can you tell us what is your os as vista is particularly fussy and you need the right nic or you will not connect if that is your setup

xania 15:12 19 Mar 2008

A quick look at the Tiscali site implies that the free modem is wireless, so you may have to source yur own wired modem.

cheqmate06 15:20 19 Mar 2008

running xp,assumed router could be wired/wireless so will have to check that when i get home.
you said rj 45 to rj11. where are these connected to?
I have the adsl filters that were provided by tiscali.

harps1h 19:35 19 Mar 2008

rj45 connects to an ethernet port the other to the phone socket on a modem or router with the other end into the phone socket. make sure there are filters on ALL phone sockets in the house. if this is only going to have one computer use the modem supplied, just make sure your mother has a firewall installed and an antivirus such as the avg free edition running

cheqmate06 22:53 19 Mar 2008

sorry but don't fully understand. is it two different wires,rj45 on pc to rj45 in router then another cable rj11 from router to rj11 in filter?

harps1h 08:24 20 Mar 2008

rj45 is the plug on the ethernet cable (the one you said wouldn't fit into the socket). but i have to reiterate that if this is only going to be a single computer and it is close to a phone socket, you dont need to worry about ethernet etc., just go with the modem the isp supplies. it will be sufficient for your mothers needs. it will simply connect to a usb port on the computer and run a phone wire from it to the phone socket (it will come with the modem)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone