wire and wire less

chippy+ 14:41 03 Jan 2009

hi happy new year to all

i have 4 pcs connected to to a home network through a wired router i am about to change the router to a virgin 4 port wired/wireless router there is 4 wired upstairs now about to connect another pc downstairs on to my new 32in Lcd television with a USB dongle ? which pc do i place the setup disc for wireless for the new router
thanks Chippy

kindly 16:02 03 Jan 2009

Try the one you use the most. You will still have to be connected to the new one with a cable to set it up anyway. All the setting come from the disc. You will also be setting up the security so then you will be given a pass key by the router. This you WILL WRITE DOWN and keep safe. When finnished setting up and having disconnected the cable you can start up one of the other computers and if it has wireless built in, then when you go to connect to the internet it will ask you for the pass key. Type that in the box and away you go. WEll thats what I did with mine and they work ok. Security set to WPA. Hope this helps you.

kindly 16:03 03 Jan 2009

Forgot to say, If none have wireless built in then you will need a dongle for each one.

ambra4 16:22 03 Jan 2009

“Which pc do I place the setup disc for wireless for the new router”

You don’t have to install any driver or software to install the new router

Most domestic cable ISPs have the cable modem configured to recognize only one client

computer by the MAC address of its network interface

Once the cable modem has learnt the MAC address of the first computer/router that its talks to, it

will not respond to any another MAC address

Thus if you swap one router for another router, the new router will not work with the cable

modem, because the router has a different MAC address to the first router

You have to power everything off, the Cable Modem, the Router and all Computers

The cable modem must be left without power for 10 minutes.

This is IMPORTANT so that it loses the association between the existing connections

(recognized by its MAC address) and the IP address that it has allocated to it.

After 10 minutes power on the Cable Modem Only when fully booted with all lights displayed

Power on the Router when the router is fully up and running

Power on one of the computer that is connected to the router and wait until it is fully booted up

The Cable Modem will recognizes a new connection and allocate an IP address to the router

The router will recognizes a new connection and allocate an IP address to the computer

Now launch your web browser and type the Router's IP address access code, which you

will find in the manual, into the browser URL address bar

This will open the configuration pages to set up the router and wireless networking.

Once the router set-up is completed and you have SAVE the setting log out and close browser

You should see all green lights showing on the modem and the Router except the lan ports for

the computers that is turn off

The 2 displays Local Area Connection Icon should be in the task bar-Right Click-Status-Support

What you should see is the following:

Address Type: Assigned by DHCP

IP Address 192.186.1.XXX which is the Computer IP Address

Subnet Mask 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway 192.168.X.X which is the router IP Address

If you click the Detail button you will see a lot more information the WINS Server is always

blank

You should now be able to browse the Internet via the Ethernet cable on that computer

Turn on each computer one at a time and make sure that you have Internet access before

turning on the next computer

ambra4 16:25 03 Jan 2009

Once you have Internet access via the hard wire computers you can work on getting the wireless to work on the new computer

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

InVision Studio takes on Adobe XD and Sketch

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?