To wire or not to wire?

ferretpp 13:02 27 Feb 2005

I am planning to set up five pc's in a small office 4 in one room and one next door (plasterboard wall)

The pc's will be used for email and a small amount of word processing and Internet browsing.

Should we go the wireless route or hard wired?

What equipment would we need to purchase?

Any advise gratfully received.

G

Forum Editor 13:36 27 Feb 2005

here. The computers are close together, and a wireless network will be fast to set up and configure. Having said that....it's fair to point out that a wired network would also be fairly easy to set up - it doesn't sound as if much cable would be required, and you would not have any of the security concerns that can accompany wirless networks.

It's your decision, but in your place I think I would probably opt for a wired network. For that you would need LAN cards in each computer and a 5 port broadband router (assuming you have a broadband conection to share between the machines). You'll also need cables to connect the computers to the router.

If you opt for a wireless network you'll need a wireless ADSL router/modem combination (again assuming there's a broadband connection), plus wireless network adapters (either internal or external) for all the machines.

ferretpp 14:55 27 Feb 2005

Thanks for your prompt response.

I have read there are security issues related to the wireless option but I am confused because I thought if one were to use a router then this device hides the IP addresses of the users. If this is so, where are the security issues?

Assuming we adopt the wired format, Any suggestions for whose LAN cards to purchase and the best 5 port Router please?

G

wallbash 23:32 27 Feb 2005

If you go down the wired route , think also about a router with a built in Print server .

LastChip 00:12 28 Feb 2005

Wired! Specially from your description.

The point about wireless is, you cannot guarantee a good connection, even though your computers are near to each other. Even a microwave in an adjacent kitchen for example could interfere with a wireless set-up. If you have adjacent units and they are on a wireless network, you could conceivably get interference from their network and although you can choose alternative channels, this may be a hassle to configure to avoid the alternate signals. The fact that wireless is what it is, in other words, transmits data through space, unless it is extremely well configured and encrypted, you could suffer from data loss via a hacker. Probably unlikely, but never the less possible. Wireless is also a slower medium than wired. As it's for businesss use, the security issues outweigh the slight work involved in running cable.

On the other hand, wired will provide an almost guaranteed connection, have no security worries other than a Firewall, which would be built into your router.

As it's a brand new installation, I would opt for Gigabit equipment with Cat 6 cable. You will pay a small premium, but the network will fly!

My own preferred solution would be a single port modem/router, with a fast Gigabit switch, probably eight ports to give you room for further expansion. The extra cost compared to our FE's offering, about £100 if your doing it yourself, but your future proofing the whole installation.

Chezdez 01:05 28 Feb 2005

yeah, i would say go for gigabit, then you won't have any worries about speed for a while (100Mbps would be plenty sufficent now, but you'll soon be upgrading)

and cat-5e or 6 cable (6 is preferarble, but isn't as common), and make sure that they are straight through cables (EIA/TIA standard 568B, the 568B should be written on the cable, if it's 568A, it's no good)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?