Wiping out Suse Linux

Harry 04:13 29 Jul 2006

Can anyone point the way as to how I would go about getting rid of Suse 10.1 from my PC.

Thanks

Diodorus Siculus 08:22 29 Jul 2006

Depends on how you put it on and what else is on the PC.

If you are dual booting, then go into windows explorer and format the partition with Suse.

Then boot with XP CD and choose repair console and then run FIXMBR

You will need to give more details for an accurate answer.

Harry 12:55 29 Jul 2006

I had c drive and d drive. The D drive is a Separate hard drive. I installed Linux on this D drive.

When the system starts it gives me options to boot from linux, windows etc. By the way it boots on linux if I dont do anything but I prefer that it boots to windows (but i dont know how to change that and the kids are fuming). Also linux recognises the DVD drive but I cant find the the cd rewriter anywhere on linux. These are the reasons I want to get rid of it.

Thanks

Monument 13:32 29 Jul 2006

To make Windows the default boot you would need to change the entry in menu.lst file in /boot/grub under Linux.

If you are familiar with the VI editor this is fairly simple.

woodchip 13:45 29 Jul 2006

If Linux is on a different drive just format the drive in Windows if you can see it. If not you should be able to remove if you have a Full XP disc by starting with disc Consol and do a FIX /MBR

Pidder 14:47 29 Jul 2006

I just keep pressing (press - press -press etc)the "down" arrow on boot-up to then get the option of choosing which OS to boot.

woodchip 16:08 29 Jul 2006

You need to use a disc to remove the Linux Partition. Ether a XP boot floppy or CD or whatever You cannot remove it in the Program. You may be able to remove in XP by Right click My Computer choose Manage\Disc Manager then remove the partition and create a new one. That’s If XP can see it in the above

Harry 02:14 01 Aug 2006

I decided to wipe it out by booting from xp disc and deleting all the patitions on the d drive then on to the repair consol and fixmbr. I then went into disc management in control panel and reformated the d drive. This seems to have done the trick.

I still want to have the linux on my system but not until I know more aboutit.

I read somewhere that you can install it and to boot into linux you have to go into the bios and set boot order to that drive (as you do for cdrom) then it would automatically boot into linux. This would mean I have to change the boot order everytime I want to go into linux and everytime I leave linux. I prefer to do that everytime I want to use linux than to be given a choice between different OS's at the start up as my wife and kids were really upset when the system kept booting into linux automatically after a few minutes.

Thanks all for your time and input.

terryf 05:31 01 Aug 2006

Joke: the answer to your problem is perhaps not to get rid of linux but to get rid of those of your family who are upset (or better still, get an old 2nd hand computer and load linux on that, I believe that linux will run on a lower spec machine that Win)

woodchip 09:51 01 Aug 2006

What you mean is a Boot Manager, You can get one for free click here

Also you can try different Linux with Live Linux CD click here It tells you in blue what they do. These are not loaded to your hard drive as such, they are loaded into memory so you can play until you find what you want

Harry 11:32 01 Aug 2006

Whilst on this subject, is there a broadband meter programme for suse 10.1 which monitors bandwidth used as I am on 2GB download limit.

Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone