Wipe Harddrive and start again

coolteentom 20:13 23 Jul 2004

Hi,

I have a Win98 SE PC, and would like to completely remove everything and start again.

Can anyone tell me how to do this.

Also, are there any free programs to do this safely, quickly and easily?

Thanks for your help. Tom

drew645 20:31 23 Jul 2004

First essentials are original Win 98SE disk and boot floppy (i.e. Win98 startup floppy)
You'll also need all the disks for programs you want to re-install.
After that you'll have to download all Win98 updates and ditto for programs.
It's a big job, and if you use dial-up its gonna take a long time.
Might be better to use the opportunity to upgrade to XP?
Andrew

sil_ver 20:38 23 Jul 2004

You will need a Win98 boot disk (and a 98SE CD including the Ser No) The boot disk you can create if you don't already have one by going to add/remove progs and clicking on the boot disk tab. Make the floppy first boot device Boot from it and at the prompt choose 'with CD-Rom support' option. at the next prompt type, format c: when it's done type the drive letter of your CD-ROM (which will be indicated before you format) So, assuming it's E: type E:setup and it should then start the process of loading w98. Don't forget to have all the drivers you need to hand also remember, if don't want to lose anything, to back it up before proceeding to format. Don't leave any peripherals connected before you start as it can confuse windows.

Djohn 20:52 23 Jul 2004

You can bypass the floppy bit if you wish to as 98se is a bootable O/S. Set your CD drive as first boot drive from the BIOS and insert your CD, reboot the system and install as normal.

coolteentom 21:12 23 Jul 2004

Thanks for the info,

I have booted using the CD, and I get:

Start Computer with CD Support

Start Computer Without CD Support

Start Windows Setup Using CD (Which is the one I have gone on)

It then goes to a blue screen, and says that 'this version of setup is designed for computers that do not yet have an operating system.' and that it is reccommended to exit setup.

I think I have done this a few years ago, and it keeps all the files, just updates the operating system. Have I done something wrong??

woodchip 21:39 23 Jul 2004

you have to format C:\ drive first with a boot disc from click here choose the Windows 98se OEM file, download it the put a floppy disc in comp and double click the download to create the 98 boot disc. Boot with the Floppy disc let it run to A:\> then Type FORMAT C: press enter, after is as formatted the disc restart the computer with the boot disc and choose start with CD-Rom support. "Your CD Drive Letter Will Have changed" so if it was D:\ it will now be E:\ or if it was E:\ it will be F:\ it moves up one letter so which ever is the CD drive letter now assuming E:\ just type E: with the Win98se Disc in the comp then when you can see the CD drive letter just type Setup and press enter, it will scan the drive then press X it will start windows setup Follow the prompts

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:48 23 Jul 2004

Use Start Computer with CD support the tools for running 98 dos have been added in a ram disk so your CD drive letter will move up one letter D:\ to e:should tell you during this sequence what the new drive letter for you CD is.

Asumming you have backed up a your files you want first

At the A:\prompt type format c:\ press enter

When format is complete Type e:\ press enter

at E:\ type setup to install win98se

coolteentom 09:58 24 Jul 2004

Sorry, I found a website click here when I was sending my last message, and went off the internet.

I have reformated the disk, created a primary DOS partition etc., but I have now got to:

"Once you have a command prompt, you will need to put in your CDROM driver disk. The setup of these should be self explanatory.. Usually its just a matter of running a:\install.exe or a:\setup.exe. Consult your CDROM manufacturer if you need help."

I am not sure what the 'CDROM DOS based drivers' are... I have got a System and Driver CD, but this is for the motherboard etc. and I don't think this is the right one.

coolteentom 09:59 24 Jul 2004

Sorry, I found a website click here when I was sending my last message, and went off the internet.

I have reformated the disk, created a primary DOS partition etc., but I have now got to:

"Once you have a command prompt, you will need to put in your CDROM driver disk. The setup of these should be self explanatory.. Usually its just a matter of running a:\install.exe or a:\setup.exe. Consult your CDROM manufacturer if you need help."

I am not sure what the 'CDROM DOS based drivers' are... I have got a System and Driver CD, but this is for the motherboard etc. and I don't think this is the right one.

coolteentom 10:06 24 Jul 2004

I think i understand what it is talking about now - a floppy disk with drivers for the CDROM. However, I don't have any CDROM Drivers on floppy... can I move any from Win98 Setup CD to floppy??

Pidder 10:11 24 Jul 2004

Bit late in the day but why did you need to reformat and reinstal. I have found that clearing out a lot of unused programs and running SFC seems to have made a big improvement in speed. I do have 2 HDDs with 98SE on one and most of my other files on the other. Just a thought.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment créer, modifier et réinitialiser un compte Apple ?