wipe hard drive and format

joshbear 22:44 13 Nov 2003

I installed my old hard drive, which had win 98, into my new built computer and installed xp via update cd.

I've had lots of problems since with camcorder/firewire detection etc leading to pacthes, changes to file names etc(long story....!!) and I would like to start from scratch again.

How do I completely wipe everything off my hard disk so that I can start as if I had a brand new hard disk?

Bullyboy 22:54 13 Nov 2003

Go to the RUN command and type MSCONFIG.
You will get a screen come up saying 'System Configuration Utility'.
Click DIAGNOSTIC STARTUP, then click back to NORMAL STARTUP. Then click APPLY then CLOSE. Windows will then ask you to reboot. Click RESTART.
You machine will then restart, when the BIOS has finished checking and it about load windows, a menu should appear with the Microsoft Windows Startup Menu, in a sort of DOS looking mode.

Enter Recovery console, then it may ask you to log onto a Windows directory. You will need the Administartor password for this.

You should eventually get to a c:\windows\ prompt. Type Help or ? i think then, you should see Format. Type FORMAT C:
WARNING! All data on non-removeable drive C will be lost.
Do you want to continue?
Well its up to you?

Tim1964 22:56 13 Nov 2003

If you try the search facilty at the top of the page, entering 'Format' and 'windows 98' without the ' and select all threads it will throw out exactly what you're after.

Good luck.

VoG II 23:01 13 Nov 2003
  woodchip 23:04 13 Nov 2003

If you have a Win98 Floppy disc and the XP OS is Fat32, You can start with the Windows floppy and Format with that. It should look like this after start with floppy

A:\>FORMAT C: hit enter and follow instructions on screen you do not need to put a label in.

If it's NTFS files System you will first have to run FDISK so that it would look like this

A:\>FDISK press enter

Terrahawk 04:48 14 Nov 2003

Set your floppy to first bootable device in the bios insert your boot floppy if you dont have one you can download one from click here insert a floppy double click the file you downloaded it will create a boot disk

Format Fat32 boot machine with boot disk inserted at the A:\prompt tpye format c: press enter then select y if you wish to continue with the format

Format NTFS reboot machine with boot disk inserted at A:\prompt type fdisk enter
would you like to enable large disk supporty Y/n
enter yes
from the menu select delete partition from the next menu select delete non dos partition follow instructions exit to main menu select create partition then create primary partition then exit reboot disk still inserted
At the A:\ Prompt type format c: to format the drive

Ben Avery 09:19 14 Nov 2003

...make sure you have all your driver discs handy before you format!!!

BA

Xevious 09:33 14 Nov 2003

your windows CD-key...

joshbear 17:47 14 Nov 2003

Thanks for your help.

Here goes......!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone