WinXP v Win98 performance issue

madwab 14:56 20 Jan 2004

OK. I've got a Athlon 2800 cpu with 333 fsb, a Via KT600 motherboard supporting fsb up to 400, I've got dma 133 hard drives and I've got more than enough ram, clocked at 400; and a Radeon 9000 agp graphics card - the weak link, but my problem isn't 3d gaming...this system should be fairly fast for 2d work.

But under XP, when I win a game of solitaire, the animation is sloooooow. I don't remember there being a brake in it to keep the speed constant, but maybe I'm wrong. The problem isn't hardware, because under Win98 the animation completes in about a tenth of a second - faster than I can measure it. XP doesn't seem particularly slow - I can play Age of Mythology against the max. no. of opponents and it doesn't seem to mind - so my question is, why is that solitaire animation running so slowly?

T

madwab 14:59 20 Jan 2004

that this is on a clean XP install, without graphics card or other drivers; and that adding in drivers makes no difference.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?