WinXP repair failed - kbd locked - Creative Audio

tomp7877 16:43 25 Oct 2009

I'm posting this in the hope of finding out how to avoid this problem in the future.

I had a WinXP system crash, and I tried to repair it using the vendor supplied SP2 recovery disc. It went ok until a prompt turned up to mount a diskette with pfmodnt.sys and hit ok.
At this point,both the keyboard and the mouse were frozen. I couldn't get any further and finally gave up, formatted c: and reinstalled completely, to my great annoyance and frustration.
I have since found that the missing file is on the vendor supplied Gigabyte CD under Creative\Audio\drivers. However, even had I known this, the locked up keyboard would have stumped me.
If I ever need to run WinXP repair again, how can I make sure this problem doesn't happen again?

Pineman100 16:52 25 Oct 2009

This is an uninformed guess, but were you using a wireless keyboard and mouse, with a transceiver that plugs into a USB port?

If so, you might have avoided the problem if you had temporarily used a PS2 keyboard and mouse during the reinstall.

tomp7877 20:22 25 Oct 2009

Pineman,
almost correct, I have a USB mouse and keyboard. I did find an ancient PS/2 mouse in the back of the cupboard, and I did wonder, wouldn't it be great if I still had that PS/2 kbd that I trashed several years back.

Like I say, I would like to avoid having this problem in the future. Are you saying that every WinXP machine needs a PS/2 kbd and mouse to do system recovery?

Pineman100 11:09 26 Oct 2009

I can't answer that, I'm afraid. But it does seem logical to imagine that a USB setup wouldn't work until Windows (with it's USB drivers) is loaded.

But don't take that as expert knowledge - it's an amateur guess!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?