winxp Pro suddenly requestin log in.

kimtrnc 08:04 30 Sep 2009

I am the only user of this system, which I display in Classic Mode It has always gone straight to desktop. Now it is requesting user name and password - ( there is no password, BTW) It is not life threatening, but IS irritating. And I worry when my system changes things all by itself..
TIA Kim
( recently having a terrible time with both my machines.....)

birdface 08:17 30 Sep 2009

Make sure Microsoft have not opened a new user account on your computer.
Maybe give Malwarebytes [free a run just to see if it finds any problems.

birdface 08:20 30 Sep 2009

Maybe try this.
click here

Technotiger 08:21 30 Sep 2009

Same thing happens to me occasionally (XP Home SP3), I just press Return or do a normal Re-start which always works.

I dunno why it happens, but 'tis only a minor nuisance.

kimtrnc 09:28 30 Sep 2009

Buteman - malware DID find some problems, so thanks for the tip. There WAS a Microsoft account I didn't recognise and also an account called ASP.net, both of which I deleted.
Unfortunately, your click here didn't seem to do anything.
Maybe I should have said that it isn't bothered about a password - there isn't one, anyway, but until the last two days my system simply went straight to the desktop, which I prefer.

Technotiger, restart on mine still brings up the user/password box

Technotiger 09:34 30 Sep 2009

Open a New Tab, and then click on buteman's link.

Wait until the link has fully loaded showing Done at the bottom, then you should be able to scroll and see the reasoning behind the link.

birdface 09:46 30 Sep 2009

I believe it was the ASP.Net account that Microsoft adds on.I see no reason as to why they are allowed to do it.That one was safe to remove but not sure what the other one would have been and whether safe to remove it or not.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

ManvsMachine win UK's only Gold Design Cannes Lions award

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?