Winxp Pro can't read from cd-rom or floppy drives

Micad 22:39 13 Aug 2009

Help please. Desktop RM pc with genuine windows Pro installed but no OS Disc. Device manager says floppy and cdrom drives are ok. also, both controllers are ok. If I try to boot from either they are ignored. When trying to access them from "my computer" I'm told there is no media present although the little disc shows up for the cdrom and the floppy makes "reading noises". When trying to open a floppy from command prompt it first tells me the disc is not formatted and asks if I would like to format it. If I say yes please, the stupid thing says it can't do it. I suspect I have a corrupt config.sys or Award 6.00PG BIOS but without co-operation from cd or floppy drives, I'm snookered. I can input and probably instal a temporary Pro OS via a usb drive and have backup of the current C Drive but I'm scared that if my paragon recovery disc won't boot I'll be stuck with a worse problem.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 22:52 13 Aug 2009

Are your hard disks IDE or SATA?
suspect IDE controller fault.

Have you tried :-
to uninstall and reinstall in device manager?
check cables to floppy and CD DVD drives both at drive and motherboard end?
checked in BIOS that Floppy drive controller is enabled and IDE controllers are enabled?

Stuartli 23:17 13 Aug 2009

As Fruit Bat /\0/\ suggests, Uninstalling the optical drive in Device Manager and then Rebooting could be the answer.

Windows will Find New Hardware and Reinstall the basic CDROM driver for the optical drive.

The majority of problems with floppy drives are that the unit has developed a fault or, more likely, the cable is the cause. Try a new cable.

New top brand floppy drives are under a fiver these days if you can find one..:-)

anchor 16:57 14 Aug 2009

Lots about

click here

Micad 22:59 16 Aug 2009

Thanks folks, problem now resolved.I was thrown off scent because I couldn't believe that both drives were faulty. CDROM fault was not found and I'm not bothered about it. Got one for £1.50 at a car boot and it works fine. Floppy fault was rather unusual, Grandaughter had been using it as a money box. Emptied out 12p and that now works well.

Stuartli 23:27 16 Aug 2009

Priceless...:-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

Microsoft Surface Book 2 hands-on review – bigger and 5x faster

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?