WinXP "patchupdate" problem

csqwared 18:04 16 Feb 2006

Hi
Not well versed in XP but a work colleague has just installed this OS with an internet connection. He tells me he keeps getting a screen message, even when not online, advising him to go to www. patchupdate. info to download a patch which will correct an issue with XP and other operating sysytems "Buffer overrun in Messenger Service could allow code execution, virus infection and unexpected computer shutdown." I've had a look at the site which asks for a payment for the download. I'm not convinced it's a genuine patch. Any knowledge/advice from you folk would be appreciated.

Thanks

cc

mike1967 18:08 16 Feb 2006

Deffinately not a valid patch, also think he should disable windows messenger, this is not the same as msn messenger by the way

csqwared 18:10 16 Feb 2006

Thanks for the quick response. Could you give me an idea how to do that, he's a complete newbie, and I know little about XP.

Cheers.

cc

mike1967 18:12 16 Feb 2006

Would you believe i cant remember how to do it, but what it I did with mine was block it with my fire wall

mike1967 18:14 16 Feb 2006

Try this
click here

csqwared 18:15 16 Feb 2006

Brilliant, thanks for that. Will pass that on tomorrow.

Thanks again

Carl.

curlylad 18:25 16 Feb 2006

Any updates you need from Microsoft you can set your PC to automatically update for you.

To do this click start , control panel , security centre , then click the Automatic Updates in blue at the bottom of the screen.Next click the radio button (the circle) next to 'Automatic (recommended) now underneath this set the day and time.

Now every time there is an update from Microsoft for you , it will download automatically.

Never entertain the thought of accepting an update for your XP other than the way I have just explained and your safe , hope this helps.

Also I would get yourself some security type programs against spyware and ad ware etc.If you do not have any of these sort of programs including Anti Virus and Firewall , post back here and myself or many others on here will supply you with links to several free programs for your PCs security !

csqwared 18:32 16 Feb 2006

Thanks for your input, I'll pass that on regarding the auto updates. I've already advised him regards the firewall and I've passed on copies of Adaware, Spybot & Avast (he's on dial-up). Probably my next job will be paying him a visit to sort things out. Computing...funinnit ;-))

Cheers
cc

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?