WinXP No CD Drive

BlueMeanie 10:25 22 Oct 2004

Hi, I have a PC World e-Machine, running Windows XP Home.

The PC has on various occasions on boot-up stated that there was no Hard Drive, and this has been resolved by replacing the 80 core IDE cable. I am not sure if the cable was faulty or this cure was a coincidence.

The present problem is that Windows XP Home does not detect the CD Rom drive. I have run REDEDIT and looked for "NOIDE" but this has failed to find an entry.

The BIOS does detect both the Hard Drive and the CD Rom (a DVD Drive).

And, if I boot up the PC using my trusty Windows 98 floppy disk the CD Rom is detected AOK and I can get a directory listing (Dir).

Any clues why XP Home is not playing ball ???

Thanks in advance of your ideas........

JonnyTub 10:42 22 Oct 2004

Try uninstalling the ide channel the drive is connected to in device manager. i.e. Drive set as slave on primary ide. This would entail expanding the ide/atapi controllers entry in device manager, right clicking on primary ide controller and selecting uninstall, you will be asked to reboot, oblige and upon restart allow windows to automatically reinstall the driver.

This usuallly works if the ide driver has become corrupt.

BlueMeanie 14:15 22 Oct 2004

Thanks JonnyTub,

There is/are a yellow Exclamation mark against the Samsung DVD Drive, and some other items ie Web camera, Sound card devices, pnp devices ?? and they are state code 39 - missing/corrupted drivers.

I have removed the devices and let Windows reinstall the drivers, they they all end up yellow + code 39 again.

But the good news is that we are now on the right lines.

I am at a school and have to work around the staff/pupils.

Thanks again, any more ideas ...

JonnyTub 14:27 22 Oct 2004

have you used Easy CD Creator version 5.01 or earlier or DirectCD version 3.01c or earlier?

woodchip 14:35 22 Oct 2004

Go to Device Manager and remove the IDE controller and restart your computer

JonnyTub 14:39 22 Oct 2004

isn't that what i suggested?

woodchip 14:47 22 Oct 2004

Yes but the word is IDE Controller in Device Manager

woodchip 14:49 22 Oct 2004

It may be a good idea if you have a Motherboard CD to put it in and install the drivers, If not download them from the Motherboard site

JonnyTub 14:50 22 Oct 2004

eh? the words are actually IDE ATA/ATAPI controllers, i must be very careful to be exact with what i type in future.

Or am I missing something?

woodchip 20:55 22 Oct 2004

Sorry about that I was looking at Channel that you put

JonnyTub 21:04 22 Oct 2004

no probs, thought i was losing my MaRbLeS :-)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?