WinXP Licencing Help please

Giggle n' Bits 09:50 11 Oct 2004

Ok, back in July my friends Packard Bell HDD failed. So I fitted a new HDD and new XP Home OEM.

Last week the Motherboard, AGP Card & Memory all got damaged cause by some electrical damage to machine.

So I have rebuilt a new computer with his original HDD but re-installed clean his XP Home OEM.

On product activation online the process will not go through. I am unable ot Activate his XP Home OEM on his new machine using his older HDD.

Is it right I would need to purchase & instal a new XP Home (He pays) or should I be able to reinstall his XP.

spuds 09:56 11 Oct 2004

I think that it will be a case of contacting Microsoft, and they will issue a new activation code.

VoG II 10:01 11 Oct 2004

Yep, give them a call 0870 60 10 100

Giggle n' Bits 10:54 11 Oct 2004

Apparently the Windows XP Home when sending activation it sends the Seriel No of the Motherboard. As the machine was built around a new Motherboard it will not activate and a new licence has to be purchased.

spuds 22:30 11 Oct 2004

click here and look about two thirds down under headings 'Can Hardware Components Be Changed and Upgraded' plus ' How Does Product Activation Determine Tolerance'.

If I read correct, then it is possible to re-activate XP and if there are problems, Microsoft suggest that you telephone a Microsoft customer service representative for re-activation.This would strongly suggest that no new licence or product is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone