JerryJay 09:38 26 Sep 2003

What is the main difference between
WinXP home and WinXP Pro apart from
price.

For normal everyday home use, which is
better if price is no consideration.

bremner 10:53 26 Sep 2003

http: // www .microsoft.com/windowsxp/whichxp.asp

Go to the above site (remove the spaces each side of the // and after www.

Personally for normal home use then XP Home Edition provides all you will need.

Mr Tinkles II 18:30 26 Sep 2003

the only difference between home and pro is that pro comes with a few enhanced features with regards to networking and administration. for the average home xp home is perfectly adequate. hope that this helps

antoni34 18:39 26 Sep 2003

I have both a laptop and a base unit which both use (legit) copies of XP Pro

I have 2 say this is great and both integrate on a home network using NIC cards no problem !!!

XP Pro is worth it 4 a network, otherwise use XP Home

rawprawn 19:16 26 Sep 2003

XP Home seems to me to be perfectly adequate for just about everything, I agree with brmner.

Murray 19:27 26 Sep 2003

one word of warning,

A friend of mine found out, XP home does not support dynamic disks, as XP Pro does. If you format a hard disk in Pro (using default settings), you can't access it in Home edition.

Otherwise for the home user, or even if you have a small home network, Home is fine.

jospar 21:23 26 Sep 2003

If you running a business or large network, then the extras in the pro version might become useful. But for normal home use the home version is very good.

If you concider how much of any application we actualy use and how much is just trimmings, we wouldn't need such large harddrives.

I've tried both, but found with the pro version that it wasn't very happy with older equipment, it took ages to get my printer/scanner up and running, didn't like unsigned drivers at all. which made the system very unstable.

So have swapped to the home version, and have no troubles at all. Except an odd clich every now and again with my older printer, but this is resloved by disconnecting the power plug, and once reconnected problem sloved.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy Note 8 review

Be inspired by powerful National Theatre posters from the past 50 years

How to use the new Photos, Notes and Safari features in macOS High Sierra

Galaxy Note 8 : design, caractéristiques techniques, date de sortie