WinXP Home Password & Forgotten it!

Giggle n' Bits 20:46 09 Dec 2007

Have been googlin all day to sort this, my partner decided to type in and set a password in WinXP SP2 for her machine, and she did not write it down, after comming back to it she carn't remember the password so clever cloggs is locked out.

I found loads of ideas on google but they seem a little dodgy and don't know which will truely work to get into windows to remove the password. Their is only the one account and no admin. It starts up and her name it stops at for password.

Anyone know a legal sensible way if their is one please or do I have to call MS and pay em. If I do she won't be getting her xmas pressie this year (HA!)

VoG II 20:47 09 Dec 2007
  VoG II 20:49 09 Dec 2007

Or perhaps click here

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:13 10 Dec 2007

Their is only the one account and no admin.

If you boot to safe mode the Admin accout becomes visable on the welcome to windows screen.

As long as you have not set a password for the Administrator Account
Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Local Security Settings/Minimum Password Length/Reduce it to 0 (No password required). Control Panel/User Account/Your Account/Remove Password.

Giggle n' Bits 18:42 10 Dec 2007

I will try these when I am home later.

Les28 19:20 10 Dec 2007

I've used this one, it's free if you don't mind waiting 72 hours, when I used it I found you can check here and there and it is revealed a bit at a time over the waiting time, might be enough without waiting the full time to remember the password
click here

Otherwise you have to pay for immediate password recovery if it can be obtained, Les.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017