WinXp crashed and now unable to boot or recover

Giggle n' Bits 01:49 15 Sep 2006

ok, got a Acer WinXP Desktop and it crashed with a blue screen I tried to recover with a disk set made within the windows from when I got it 2 years ago and seem to have generated 4 boot options.

My own fault you will love this, yep my work and fam pics need to be saved and there not. I could get into wondows with safe mode. I tried r console options the reason I have now generated 4 different boot options for windows.

The C drive is still showing as intact and everytime I do manage to boot no matter which option I choose I get the error as below

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows Root>\system32\ntoskrnl.exe.
Please reinstall a copy of the above file.

Ok all I know is a exe file is damaged or missing that is required to boot into XP desktop.

How to correct this to gain access to my work now I havent the foggiest so I plead with someone who is confident they can get me out of this mess I have probably created myself.

Would it work by just installing xp over the top but then I nearly went to do this and was given the options for the partitions and wasn't sure which was right.

H E L P & SOS! PLEASE

STREETWORK 05:42 15 Sep 2006

Sounds like a boot file is not opening when you start...

click here

Post back if still problem...

Giggle n' Bits 09:51 15 Sep 2006

I will try and follow them steps in the link you post. Thanks for the link!

Again as mentioned I got myself 4 options Windows XP, Original operating system, Windows XP Home and Repair1 from trying other methods must admit that manually trying to extract the ntoskrnl.exe from the xp Cd sounds promising the steps involved I feel are difficult as they remind me of programming and something that I am not good as or was in the days of them DOSS jobs.

Zeppelyn 10:54 15 Sep 2006

Sounds like your c:\boot.ini file is pointing to the wrong place. This should fix it

click here

woodchip 11:06 15 Sep 2006

And if you cannot then get in, ask someone to put your Hard drive in there comp as slave, so you can get your files back

Giggle n' Bits 11:23 15 Sep 2006

Thank u both I think I tried that but will try it again.

Woodchip, you say i can take the HDD and fit in another machine as a Slave drive. This sounds promising can you give more detail please.

Is it really that simple and will enable me to boot into xp as the other machine will have xp. going to borrow next doors if the dog doesn't bite me.

woodchip 13:28 15 Sep 2006

Just set the jumper on the edge of the drive to slave some just have to remove the jumper for it to act as a slave. Connect to the ribbon in other comp if it only as one Drive there should be a extra socket in the middle of the ribbon cable. also fit one of the spare power plug's there normaly is one four pins with corners cut off so it only goes in one way red wire on ribbon and red on power are near to each other when plugged in

Giggle n' Bits 21:23 15 Sep 2006

It worked, I have now got my mates machine here up and running with the damaged HDD on slave and able to access the documents but just fitting a DVD Wtr to enable more docs and pics etc fit on DVD disks.

Totally amazed, your a star ! THANK U !!!!!

I there any possible way to get into the original windows Outlook Express and address book ? as my job applications and mails are or were there in outlook express.

Tried opening outlook express but this opens the default Master Windows XP which has my uninportant mails.

But appreciate and greatfull for this. I didn't think is was possible to just stick on a HDD which had a corrup winXP and boot it as a slave to access data.

I also even scanned the Slave HDD to find a virus which I think may haver caused all this problem called win32:trojan-gen A0016867 in system volume infomation\restore cab

Would like to know more about the virus also will search google.

mammak 22:00 15 Sep 2006

Bumping this for reference

but gotta agree woodchip is A1

Giggle n' Bits 22:34 15 Sep 2006

just need to try and get access to emails that were in outlook express and the address book contacts. As usual winxp

woodchip 22:43 15 Sep 2006

You can copy the Files, From Explorer Not sure about this one But think they are DBX files. I use Netscape and Netscape Mail. So go to Start\Search Look for *.dbx files on the drive that has the Operating system of your disc. It may say inbox but as above not sure about OE

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Galaxy Note 8 vs iPhone X

Awful clip art from 1994 is being tweeted every hour by a bot

iPhone X vs Samsung Galaxy Note 8

Les meilleurs navigateurs internet 2017