Winspool woes

IClaudio 18:58 09 Jan 2012

My machine's arteries have been clogging up over the past few months, and I've been looking at replacing it.

A couple of days ago, I switched on my printer, and the computer crashed. When I re-started, things started to go haywire, with most programs not starting up, the common error message being 'WInspool not available' or 'Winspool corrupted'. Trawling through t'internet, the solution seemed to be to rename Winspool.exe with something like 'Winspool.old.exe' - restarting the machine would force a re-install of Winspool. Or Repair Windows (7) from the original DVD.

Unfortunately, none of these solutions worked, as the corrupted file (WInspool) couldn't be accessed.... neither could I Delete it. I've run AVG and Anti-Malware with no adverse results.

To cut a tedious story short, I've invested in a new machine. Taking advantage of a good deal from Serif (the new PagePlus X6 for just £30 along with a free copy of PCMover), I'm going to transfer my old files from the old computer to the new one.

I'm worried that I might also transfer the dud Winspool. Is this a problem, do you think?

TIA

northumbria61 21:43 09 Jan 2012

Try doing a system restore to a time just prior to your computer crashing.

IClaudio 23:27 09 Jan 2012

My attempts at System Restore are just part of the tedious story...

I'm past trying to Repair this computer, and now looking forward to the new one... I'm just concerned about transferring the problems along with programs and data!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?