WINS or DHCP

bump909 07:46 16 Jan 2008

I'm using windows XP with SP2 on 3 desktop pc's and 1 laptop. I also have a networked printer and must have file & printer sharing across the network.

I have just installed Sygate firewall (as recommended elsewhere on this forum) in place of Nvidia's unstable offering. It seems to be doing its job rather well and after testing my system via the Symantec Applet it stated that my PC was safe. Further reading on the Symantec site suggested that for ultimate security I should disable NetBIOS over TCP/IP and add a WINS server. It also showed a flow diagram of the benefits of using WINS Server. However, I am unsure what WINS SERVER address to insert when adding this feature. Is it just a standard IP address e.g, 1892.168.1.36?

Also, other sites/forums state that WINS is no longer necessary as DHCP takes care of things. What would you guys recommend?

brundle 19:15 16 Jan 2008

WINS is not required for your system, as you have read DHCP will take care of networking. Plus you need a machine providing the WINS service, unless you run an office network with a mixture of 9x and 2000/XP machines you have no need for one.

bump909 19:19 16 Jan 2008

Cheers for clarifying this for me.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Adobe shows still-in-development tools, including automatically colourising black-and-white photos

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment transformer un iPhone en borne Wi-Fi ?