win.picture and fax viewer hijacked,how to change

pharte 21:49 14 May 2004

after reading the article in the magazine ref opening my photo files with windows picture and fax viewer, when I right click and attempt to open with this application it is only giving me the option of using finepix viewer which I loaded from the fuji software that came with my camera.

how do I change the default back to the microsoft option or even give myself the option of having a choice again?

Simon_P 21:56 14 May 2004

on the image file i.e Mypic.jpg

Select open with/choose program
Select win pic and fax viewer
check the always use this program box
click ok

And your done.

Dan the Confused 22:02 14 May 2004

I use Win98 and have to highlight the icon then right click while holding shift to show the 'open with' option.

pharte 22:12 14 May 2004

Simon, I would do as you say normally but the "open with" box is replaced by "open by finepix viewer" and this is where my problem lies.

Dan I'm running xp home and the shortcut you suggested does not seem to work for xp.

where can I find the programme to change the default back to enable me to choose which programme I want to open with or make win. pic and fax viewer the default application for my pictures etc. as it does when I open the media player or suchlike.

woodchip 22:21 14 May 2004

If you need Fax software Cheyenne BitWare click here

Dan the Confused 22:25 14 May 2004

Is there no option in your software (under tools prob) to scan the comp for these files and reassociate them? (Like with a media player.)

Simon_P 22:27 14 May 2004

I am not familiar with Finepix viewer, but there should be a setting within it, possibly tools/options/file types: to configure file types such as jpeg, giff etc. Try to find this and uncheck whatever file type that you want win pic and fax viewer to use. Then go through the open with options again.
This may be a process of elimination

pharte 22:28 14 May 2004

nah woodchip.....too much whisky for you tonight I think.....I'm referring to the windows programme that opens and lets you view your pictures, generally given to you in a list of "what would you like to open the programme with" when you open a picture file or insert a cd and the like.

woodchip 22:29 14 May 2004

Try this for open click the file you want to open then hold the shift key down now choose open with and choose from list win.picture and fax viewer put a tick in the box to always use that program

woodchip 22:30 14 May 2004

Hold the shift key while you right click on selected file

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?