winows 2000 sp4 will not boot

Kingfisher 16:55 24 Nov 2008

Hi everybody a friend has windows 2000 that daughter trashed whilst downloading music to Itunes the blue screen halts with following error message. driver_irql_not_less_or_equal. have tried last known good configuration, but pc reboots to the same error, dont no where to go from here as there is no system restore in windows 2000 and she has no recovery disk, I am not sure if the music she was downloading was peer to peer or from Itunes itself any help would be appreicated many thanks

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:11 24 Nov 2008

boot to safe mode
Control panel - system - device manager
and uninstall the drivers one at a time until you find the one causing the trouble.
start with the graphics driver.

Update the offending driver.

Kingfisher 17:49 24 Nov 2008

Thanks FruitBat /\0/\ will try it asap (Weds) will post back result

Kingfisher 18:53 25 Nov 2008

regarding Fruit/\0/\'s comments about uninstalling the drivers one at a time, i have no disk to replace drivers that I uninstall, will the pc still boot if I remove a particular driver,if not I am not sure where to get an updated driver, the pc is an old Tiny machine, is there some software that i could download that would give me all the specs of the pc so I can search the internet for a driver, many thanks in advance

Kingfisher 18:55 25 Nov 2008

sorry Fruit Bat/\0/\got your name wrong so intent on getting the foward and back slashes in the right place lol

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:13 25 Nov 2008

The drivers will still be in the cache to be reinstalled when you reboot in normal mode.
Uninstall in device driver just deletes then fom the windows drivers folder.

If your not happy about uninstalling then choose disable instead.

Kingfisher 23:40 25 Nov 2008

Thanks for your response Fruitbat/\0/\ will have a go tomorrow

Kingfisher 16:38 26 Nov 2008

Hi have tried disabling graphics driver but no difference, still wont boot. I re enabled the graphics driver. Situation has now worsened because windows will now not boot into safe mode, i get a stop error message"inaccessible_boot_ device" and pc halts at this message,have tried altering boot sequence in the bios but no difference, has anybody any ideas how I can proceed further,As a thought if the worse comes to worse can I put her windows 2000 hard disk in my xp pc as a slave drive and access the data on this drive and save it to a usb pen drive and if I can get hold of a windows 2000 disk and reinstall can i put the data back on.Any ideas would be appreciated many thanks in advance

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:43 26 Nov 2008

Ok its struggling to find the hard drive

Agree slave it to your PC and extract data before going any further as the hard drive bot sector may be damaged.

While its in the other machine run a chkdsk on it and fix any errors it finds.

Kingfisher 16:47 26 Nov 2008

Thanks Fruit Bat /\0/\ will give it a try, not sure when but will post back, thanks again for your response

Kingfisher 16:04 01 Dec 2008

Hello can anyone please explain, regarding boot problem as first posting I had access to a pc with windows 2000 running on it, so I tried to restore an acronis image of the win 2000 that wouldn't boot to good pc, Acronis went through the restore ok and finished with dialogue box"Data has been successfully restored" but on reboot i got the error message" inaccesible boot device" exactly as i got from my old pc,(read above) tried several saved images in case of corruption but all reported the same.So new machine will have to have win 2000 reinstalled Question: is it because it was a different pc with different bios and mobo etc or something else
many thanks

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?