Winfixer changed to WinAnti Virus Pro 2006?

micklemouse 11:20 22 May 2006

I have a blog on Xanga and every time logged into it recently, I got the dreaded Winfixer window popping up over and over again.

I trie Spy Sweeper, Ewido (free), AdAware and none of them found it, so I installed Spypot and ran a scan. I was so pleased when it came up with "Winfixer" which I fixed straight away. A couple of days passed with no problems on my Xanga blog.

Now when I log in to Xanga I get a different window popup with "Microsoft Internet Explorer" in the top bar. The Popup window says, "There is a security vulnerability from the Baktera virus. We recommend you DOWNLOAD one of the security software programs to prevent malware infections."

I try to delete this popup with the X in the top right corner but then a new webpage appears advertising:

Win AntiVirus Pro 2006
Win AntiSpyware 2006

I have written down the address of this webpage and it is as follows;

click here=

And that's it. What can I do to get rid of it? I have also got Zone Alarm firewall and AntiVir antivirus. I have also got the VundoFix 4.2 which did NOT find Winfixer the first time.

I have run VundoFix as a task again, and searched for files but still no trace.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

skidzy 15:31 22 May 2006

Are you just using the Vundo fix....if so,this is not enough to get rid of Winfixer.

This is a nasty piece of Spyware/Malware etc.
Use either of these to rid the pesky thing click here
click here

Hope this helps.

micklemouse 08:56 23 May 2006

I told you in my message, I have used Spy Sweeper, Ewido (free version), AdAware, Spybot and Vundofix 4.2 even AOL Spyware although I don't rely on it too much.

Also up-to-date ZoneAlarm and AntiVir.

I will have a look at your links, thanks, and report back later

micklemouse 09:21 23 May 2006

ok, I have examined my hijackthis log to see if the O2 and O20 file names (not the paths) match up, and they don't. So according to the Bleeping Computer website I don't have Vundo/Winfixer/WinAntiVirus or whatever name it morphs into, although at the moment it's using the WinAntiVirus Pro 2006 name on my computer.

I now find that having installed the new version of CCleaner I'm stuck with a Yahoo Toolbar which I don't want. I remove the tick in Toolbars and the dam thing comes back again a few minutes later when I change sites! I can't find it in MSconfig Startup either.

micklemouse 09:29 23 May 2006

(Just got rid of yahoo toolbar in Add/Remove)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?