wine in linux

timerep 14:41 25 Jul 2009

hi how do you run a program in the wine compatibility layer of linux, I have loaded it into the c drive created by wine but if I put the disc in the rom drive and go to the c drive on wine the desktop appears then disappears and the program wont run. Seems strange if it all loads in ok if some one can do a walk through I would be grateful. its an old star trek game that im trying to run that was originally for 95 but I have played it up to windows me, it will run on xp and vista in compatibility mode but the screen has lines all over it that I cant get rid of....help as Im fed up with windows I wondered if the much talked about wine for linux would do the trick?

johndrew 14:45 25 Jul 2009

I don`t know if you have seen this, but it may resolve your problem click here

woodchip 15:37 25 Jul 2009

I think you will find, Wine is to use when Dual booting Windows with Linux. you then Run the Windows Programs on other partition but in Linux.

NOT FOR DRINKING! External use only. There may be a clue in that

woodchip 15:39 25 Jul 2009

This also may help
click here

DieSse 16:23 25 Jul 2009

"I think you will find, Wine is to use when Dual booting Windows with Linux"

It's just as applicable to standard Linux. You don't have to have a dual boot system. To quote your second (very good) link "run Windows applications without a copy of Microsoft Windows".

One other thing you can try is to run Win 95 or 98 or ME (or XP for that matter) under Virtualbox in Linux - and run your game there. I've got XP running in this way for a Windows program I use a lot but which won't run under Wine or Crossover.

LastChip 16:29 25 Jul 2009

Wine has nothing to do with dual booting.

It is an application written for Linux that enables *some* programs written for Windows, to be used in Linux - MS Office being the obvious candidate.

Not all Windows programs will run in Wine by any stretch of the imagination.

Normally, all you have to do, is right click the Windows program and tell it to run in Wine from the drop down menu. It will either run or not. Whether you want to spend the time in trying to get programs to run that wont at first try, depends very much on how much patience you have and how important it is to you.

click here for a list of compatible programs. You will see a lot of them are games, but even if your particular program isn't listed, it's still worth a try.

While I understand the originators reason to try and use Wine, it's generally preferable to use native Linux programs, as most of the common ones, are equal to, (or better than) the ones written for Windows.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Lightwell software lets you create mobile apps without using code

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Comment désactiver les programmes qui s'exécutent au démarrage de Windows 10 ?