windowsxphotfix and sp2

patso 20:38 25 Oct 2004

i have posted on this site before about not being able to install sp2 off the disc and am wondering if windowsxp hotfix-kb823980 which i installed on my pc from a disc i got a lend of would be causing conflicts with the install.when i tried to remove it a pop up has a list of every programme on my pc and says they might not work properly.what should i do.any help thanks

Night Ryder 21:16 25 Oct 2004

I had a similar problem with SP2 in that it wouldn't install from the disk. What I did was to create a directory on my hard drive and copy the whole CD to it. I then removed the CD from the drive and proceeded to install SP2 from the directory. SP2 then installed OK and when finished I deleted the directory. Worked for me. Perhaps worth a try?

patso 21:37 25 Oct 2004

thanks.im a complete beginner how do i create this directory and copy the disc and install can you explain word for word please.thanks again

Night Ryder 22:18 25 Oct 2004

Open either "My Computer" or "Windows Explorer" so you can see all your drives. Don't know how many drives are attached to your system so lets select the "C" drive like so. Double click on the "My Computer" icon, then double click on the "C" drive. Right click on a blank area of the "C" drive, on the right and select new then folder. This will create a folder called "New Folder". You can rename this if you wish but not necessary. Next use the back arrow at the top left of the screen to go back and see all your drives. Now double click on your CD Drive. (Make sure the disk is in the drive) this will display the contents of your CD Drive. Next go to the top of the window and select edit and select all. At this point don't click anywhere in the main window. Now click on edit once again and click on copy. Go back to the directory you've just created on the "C" drive and open this. It should be empty at this stage. With the new directory open click on the edit button once again and click on paste. This may take a minute or so but you should see this empty directory fill up with a copy of what's on your CD Drive. When this process is finished, remove your CD disk. Look in the new directory for an itm called setup or install. Double click on this and see if SP2 will install correctly.

patso 20:03 26 Oct 2004

night rider which install do i run as there is windows autorun xpsp2 command nt command script and xpsp2 self extracting cabinet also there is 4 folders called dotnetfx images valueadd and support.when i try to install the self extracting cabinet starts

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?