windowsXP installed - master and slave + SP2

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:29 14 Nov 2004

hi all,just recently i bought a new 20GB HDD and put it as master,it worked fine!,funny a week later windows XP doesn't boot it said summit about C:\program office%* and so i put my original windows XP disk in and it only showed my new (slave) harddisk,so i thought ill have to install windows on this one,just keeping it as slave but windows installed successfully it booted,but i have not yet activated it,soon as there was hardly anything on the disk i decided to install SP2 for the first time,i did,after installation "completed" it rebooted my computer,and what do you know original windows XP booted up on master,with all my files intact,but the other harddisk still has windows installed (un-activated),it has the folders:windows/program files on it,can i delete these safely now and install SP2 on my master?.thanks alot.ben

dan 11 20:42 14 Nov 2004

Just to be sure that your original hard drive is working correctly. Shut down the computer, disconnect the IDE cable on the slave drive and then boot up your original drive. If all is well then shut down again attach the slave again and boot to windows. Pick disk management and format the slave drive.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:46 14 Nov 2004

hi thanks for your reply,is there by any chance a different way?.my computer is real hard to tak in and out,and i don't want to format it becouse it has important files on there,maybe ill just delete windows folder and program files and see what happens thanks alot.ben

dan 11 21:10 14 Nov 2004

Yes, sorry, your original operating system is on your slave drive. So it should of said

Just to be sure that your original ( slave ) hard drive is working correctly. Shut down the computer, disconnect the IDE cable on the master drive and then boot up your original drive. If all is well then shut down again attach the master again and boot to windows. Pick disk management and format the master drive.

If you have problems gaining entry to the computer, then you can try by this method.

Enter the bios and pick standard cmos settings. Select the primary master and change the setting to none. This should make the drive invisible when you boot up. If your slave drive continues to load windows, then it should be alright. If it does not then reverse the setting to master to auto, slave to none. This will tell you if the master is fully bootable and not relying on the original slave drive.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 21:21 14 Nov 2004

i can't explain properly,i have tried to boot the master and slave on there own and they work fine,only when i boot master it has all my original desktop icons,and slave doesn't becouse of fresh install,it appears now that both are working fine i have backed up (4GB) over a network and formatted the slave drive and seems to be ok,i am now where i left off,and now im off to install SP2,wish me luck,thanks dan for all your help,sorted in a couple of hours :).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?