Windows\System32\Conf\System File corrupt

howardg 17:07 23 Sep 2006

I am unable to boot from my master HDD (Seagate SATA). I get the message that Windows\System32\Conf\System File is corrupt. Using my OEM Win XP Home Edition SP1 disc I tried to activate R but I get a message that no hard drive is detected. The same thing happens if I try to load Windows option. I removed the HDD and using an external enclosure attached the HDD via USB to a laptop to see if the disc works and it does at it recognises all the Windows folders. I have used another HDD to load Windows to get my system running. Can I copy the System32\config\ files from this working version of Windows to the corrupt version. Any help appreciated.

VoG II 17:07 23 Sep 2006
  Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:17 23 Sep 2006

Can I copy the System32\config\ files from this working version of Windows

Not quite, if you do it will crash again unless you are using the same machine.

if using same machine of another HDD then copy the file from Windows\System32\Config on your new drive to the same folder on the old drive.

If using the old drive attatched to a different machine then copy the file from c:\windows\repair\ to your old HDD windows/system/config. You will have to reinstall updates when booting from the old drive.

howardg 17:37 23 Sep 2006

Thanks VoG™ This link is the sort of solution that I wanted avoid. I cannot use the R option as windows does not recognise the HDD. But thanks anyway.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ I think your response gives me some hope. Yes both HDDS are connectred to the same machine. The new install of Windows and the corrupt version. However I can only access this drive (the original boot drive with the corrupt version of Windows)as an external drive via USB. Can I just copy the working System32 folder to the corrupt one and then reboot. Cheers

howardg 09:21 24 Sep 2006

Is it possible to repair the corrupt part of the folder by accessing it (the corrupt version of XP is now an external HDD). If possible how do I recognise the corrupt file and how do I repair.
Any help appreciated.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:27 24 Sep 2006

My computer - tools - folder options - view - tick show hidden files and folders.

where e:\ is external drive

delete "system" from c:\windows\system32\config folder

copy "system" from c:\windows\system32\config folder to e:\windows\system32\config folder.

Put old HDD back in machine and attempt to reboot.

howardg 20:11 24 Sep 2006

Fruit Bat /\0/\ Thanks

I tried your solution but I am unable to delete the corrupt system32 folder. I cannot delete Flash8a.ocx. I get the access denied message. I ticked show hidden files and folders but this didnt help.

Any other suggestions?

Thank You

VoG II 20:13 24 Sep 2006

Not surprising really. Try click here

howardg 20:45 24 Sep 2006

Thanks VoG™. I intalled Unlocker but it was unable to delete the Flash file. It did enable me to delete the rest of the contents of the folder. I have copied the new system32 to the original drive to see if this did the trick. Unlocker also failed to allow access to my documents which are on my original boot SATA HDD. Any ideas on how I can access these files.

Thanks

VoG II 21:05 24 Sep 2006

You may need to do this click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

WPA2 hack: How secure is your Wi-Fi?

HP’s new Surface Pro rival is designed specifically for Adobe-using designers and artists

Best kids apps for iPhone & iPad

Que faire si son iPhone ou iPad est tombé dans de l'eau ?