\windows\system32\config\system corrupt or missing

PCA reader 13:30 27 Sep 2007

Hi,
System :XP SP2 on an Evesham AXIS 1900+ with 512mb memory.
Last night I installed an extra 512mb memory sourced from Offtek.
The memory was recognised 'ok' during the reboot but after a minute or so the mouse and keyboard froze. Powered off/on similar occurence. Third time round I go the above error msg and now cannot boot.
Searching the net on the work m/c there is an Msoft article and a number of other articles with varying solutions.
Any recommendations on best way forward from the experts here please....after deinstalling the extra memory of course!
Thanks,
John

rawprawn 13:40 27 Sep 2007

click here have a look here.

rawprawn 14:18 27 Sep 2007

Or better and earsier last known good config
click here

PCA reader 15:52 27 Sep 2007

Thanks guys. I'll try the easy option tonight and post the outcome.

PCA reader 19:26 27 Sep 2007

OK, just tried the 'easy' method posted by rawprawn but made no difference.
Looked thru the other approaches but all mention problems if running an OEM version. I assume I have this as XP was preloaded by Evesham. I do have access to an XP retail disk though which I purchased for my daughter's laptop last year.

Can I copy the relevant file from there into the C:\windows\system32\config file whilst in the recovery console? If so where is it please on the CD???
Cheers,

PCA reader 11:52 28 Sep 2007

One additional thing I did notice when trying various approaches last night was that the '~' key on my home keyboard does not produce that character. Any ideas on how I can amend this so I can pursue other recovery options such as recovering from the penultimate Restore Point file?
John

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

The Evil Within 2 review-in-progress

Photoshop CC 2018 released with new Curvature Pen and better brush tools

Camera tips to take better iPhone photos

Les meilleures applications de covoiturage 2017