\WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM

woofwoofbark 15:33 10 Dec 2006

Hi I'm going to try and explain this as best I can ...

I was working on my comp with notepad open when suddenly my comp crashed , I could move the mouse but nothing else worked , I tried Ctrl/Alt/Del but task manager wouldnt appear i couldnt access Start either , anyway , I manually rebooted the system through the restart button on the base unit and the comp restarted great and everything was fine , I switched the comp of went to bed , switched the comp on the next morning and Windows wouldnt load , I got an error message saying that file \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM was missing or corrupt , it asked me to use my XP cd and boot from it pressing R on the first screen , I chose 1 for C:\Windows hit enter for my password and typed COPY \WINDOWS\system32\config\SYSTEM , a message appeared saying copied 1 file , so i restarted but each restart would show the above file as missing or corrupt.I then done a repair instal , everything went smoothly but I forgot what i had named the comp so I added a name ... the Windows then loaded and I had to choose from 2 accounts , I clicked on my main account and the went into accounts through control panel and deleted the acount I just added.
Everything is cool except in Services start>control panel>performance and maintenance>administritive tools>services I try to run UPnP Universal Plug and Play device host but cannot get it running when i try to start it through it properties an error message appears saying

"Could not start the Universal Plug and Play device Hostservice on local computer.

Error 1068:The dependency service or group failed to start."

As you can see from my name Im not a comp expert lol even though I no some things about computers from reading post on this forum.

If anyone can help/advise I'd be really greatfull

many thanks

NotSoTechnical

woofwoofbark 15:36 10 Dec 2006

I have since done sfc /scannow but the UPnP still doesnt start

NotSoTechnical

brundle 15:40 10 Dec 2006

Do you have SSDP service running? If not, start that then try starting UPnP.

woofwoofbark 15:48 10 Dec 2006

Its now working.

Much appreciated.

NotSoTechnical

Pamy 16:12 10 Dec 2006

noted

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone