Windows\system32\config\system

DAD7 07:23 22 Sep 2006

I have a serious error when I try to boot up my machine, it states the following file is missing: Windows\system32\config\system
THe message says that I can repair the file by using the original Setup CD-Rom and to do this I have to select r at the first screen to start the repair.
I have no idea where to go from here as I don't want to format the hard drive. I boot the machine from CD and try to repair the XP installation but at the prompt c:/ in the recovery console I dont know which prompt I should use to try and repair the file that is missing.
Any ideas please.
Thanks

Zeppelyn 08:17 22 Sep 2006

Try this from Microsoft using recovery console and C:\bootcfg /rebuild

The bootcfg /rebuild command scans your computer for Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, or Windows Server 2003 installations, and then displays the results. From this screen, you can add the detected Windows installations to the Startup menu.

When you enter this command, you receive a message similar to the following:
The Windows installation scan was successful.

Note: These results are stored statically for this session.
If the disk configuration changes during this session,
in order to get an updated scan, you must first reboot
the machine and then rescan the disks.

Total identified Windows installs: 2

[1]: C:\WINNT
Add installation to boot list? (Yes/No/All):
When you type y, and then press ENTER, you receive the following message:
Enter Load Identifier:
Type the description of the installation that you want displayed on the Startup menu. For example, type Microsoft Windows Server 2003, and then press ENTER.

You receive the following message:
Enter OS Load Options:
Type the operating system load options that you want. For example, type /fastdetect, and then press ENTER.

VoG II 08:41 22 Sep 2006

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?