windows\system32 file missing!!!!!!!!!

User-92DDCDF3-0184-434B-8701EC41369540AF 15:06 10 Jul 2006

hi all back again for some expert help...not for me this time but a friend who has a pc with something ive not seen..

when you switch it on main bios screen comes up and then screen goes blank for about 10 seconds then get the following message.....

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt \windows\system32\config\system.

you can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original setup cdrom.
select r at first screen.

have tried putting boot cd and does ask if want to boot from cd but then just get this message again.

apparently her kids were playing on pc and next time she switched it on this happened....

any ideas would be greatly appreciated

Stuartli 15:10 10 Jul 2006

Can you get into the Bios from bootup?

If so, set it to Boot from CD, Save and Exit and try again with the CD-ROM already in the drive.

VoG II 15:17 10 Jul 2006

hi.. yes can get into bios from bootup...changed the boot settings to cd first, then it asked if i wanted to boot from cd which i said yes to...but then same message came up about file missing.

have now managed to get the pc to go into the recovery console and then select which operating system i wish to use...but then what do i do????

many thanks

woodchip 20:36 22 Jul 2006

I think you press R for repair

VoG II 20:54 22 Jul 2006

You select Windows XP then follow the process in my click here above.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

These brilliant Lego posters show just what children's imaginations are capable of

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment réinitialiser votre PC, ordinateur portable ou tablette Windows ?