Windows(Speedos) not booting ....

WillyDR 07:31 20 May 2003

Running Win98SE, 258 MB RAM, 3 primary partitions ( 1 full Win98SE, 1 Internet (Windows/Speedos) and 1 Graphics (Windows/Speedos))
Coming back from holidays?:cordless mouse out of service and Internet partition booted up to C-prompt. Typed ?win? and normal start up continued. Had to use Drive Image to get the Internet partition to boot up again normally.
After a couple of days: no access anymore to the Internet partition and somewhat later no access to the Graphics one. All I get is the AVG boot scan and the background colour , no icons, no taskbar, no?.nothing on both partitions !
Facts:
? virus scan from floppy (AVG): OK
? check on ctrl-alt-del: explorer.exe is missing (just AVGserv9, the boot scan?)
? drive fitness test and SMART: OK
? full Win 98SE partition is working as it should
? Win 98SE start up step by step: no sign of HW problem
? No step by step possible on the Speedos partitions
? Boot magic and Partition Magic(from floppy): OK and partitions can be seen at all times
? No beep codes on start up
? Both Windows(Speedos) partitions react exactly the same way
? Often shutting down from such a ?blank? situation is very slow and a process has to be ended (which one ?)
Ideas:
1. master boot record problem: tried to recover with the AVG floppy (error under ?restore all?, OK on ?restore tagged?
the Win98 Rescue floppy (fdisk /mbr): not OK
2. some hardware problem: replaced the Internet partition with some previous Drive Images, even after first formatting or deleting-recreating the partition: no avail. I went so far as to re-install windows/speedos on the Internet partition to build up the mbr again?

I suspect that it happens after mbr, but at the start of the partition boot up, but why on 2 partitions ?? What makes explorer.exe starting up. Shame on me, becos I forgot to try to start up from the a: prompt?
Any ideas?
Can I delay some part of the boot up process to make it always successful ?
Then suddenly? everything was back to normal start up !!
Will it stay like that or will the problem coming back ? A annoying weekend?
Thanx for any advice !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Illustrator Sylvain Tegroeg created thousands of intricate line drawings for the mobile game…

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment télécharger une application indisponible en France ?