windows98se can only start in safe mode

Newuser4222 18:35 29 Sep 2004

My mate has just set up norton av and has done something called go back. Since that his computer hangs up on startup and wont shut down. He can only get it going in safe mode any advice welcome
Cheers

PA28 20:34 29 Sep 2004

I didn't know that Norton AntiVirus had a goback facility. On the assumption that he's used a goback facility then the question is why - did he have a serious problem before?

As a first step I would let the thing boot into Safe Mode and then have a look at Device Manager (Right click My Computer>properties). If all looks reasonable here then try Start>Run>SFC to check that system files are undamaged and exist - have your original W98 disk ready to restore any missing or corrupted files. Try a restart.

If this doesn't work then boot up whilst holding down the F8 key. Choose step by step start up (you confirm each action) and watch to see what part of the startup throws the wobbly that causes the default into safe mode.

chugby 20:45 29 Sep 2004

Goback is a system recovery program that comes with Norton Systemworks enabling you to restore back to a stable state if you experience computer problems, this may help
click here
but would recommend contact Symantec tech help if not sure as maybe other factors causing the problem they can go thru with you click here

Rtus 21:20 29 Sep 2004

W98 carries the option to run > scanreg /restore
choosing a date registry backup that you know to be before norton was installed .this should correct your present problem. its only drawback is any other software item installed from that date would also have to be replaced.

Newuser4222 18:26 30 Sep 2004

Thanks guys these tips should keep him busy for a while.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment utiliser Live Photos ?