Windows98 - not recognising USB

nutcrusher 22:34 13 Nov 2003

Failing to recognise my Printer & Scanner using USB. Have tried downloading Utilities>Other>Windows98 system Update July99 but page not available - where else may I try?

Bullyboy 22:45 13 Nov 2003

Are you using Windows 98 Version B?
and, are the drivers installed for the printer & scanner.

Check in device manager also, to see if the PC can see the tab marked Universal Serial Bus Controllers, if it cant, then it doesnt know that you have got USB.

woodchip 22:59 13 Nov 2003

If you loaded the windows disc when it popped the Found New Hardware wizard up, You did a bad thing you should have put the CD in that you got with the Hardware. Try this first make sure that USB is enabled in BIOS, then if there is any USB showing in Device Manager, Remove them all. And reboot without the USB hardware, then Plug printer in and switch it on, this is where I said the above happens Cancel the Wizard and put the Printer CD in and load the Drivers and software if you want to use the software, Only the drivers are needed to print. You are Better then to reboot your computer and follow the same sequence as above for your scanner.

Qmar 00:26 14 Nov 2003

'stimon' needs to be switched on at startup.

woodchip 12:49 14 Nov 2003

I do not have stimon running as it causses problems if left on, on my comp it's for the scanner I created a shot-cut on the Quick start task bar to run the program when I want to use scanner, then when I have done with it I Ctrl+Alt+Del and close it down

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?