WIndows7 PC stuck in constant boot loop?

peterjuerges 13:48 16 Nov 2010

I recently purchased a new full verion of win7. Cleared one harddrive, loaded win 7 in successfully.I then began the process of returning my backed up data from other hard drives.Although i did notice a little occassional instability of image and the odd fan sounds things were going well.I then switched off over night and returned to the machine the following morning when I found the system would not boot beyond the opening win7 logo screen. I tried repeatedly, I tried running win repair but it said it could not repair startup automatically, I tried to reload win 7, I reformated the drive and reloaded win7 etc and still the boot up got to the same point then re booted I can't start up in safe mode as I have reformatted etc and this is now a fresh upload of win 7. I have been through all connections,reseated mem etc...nothing changes the cycle...whilst I still have some hair...any suggestions...please.

GaT7 14:06 16 Nov 2010

Looks like a similar problem to member ajay58 in this thread click here.

Start by telling us your system spec & where you purchased the Win7 from. Is Win7 32-bit or 64-bit, or have you tried both.

Try a free Linux distro to rule out the OS being a problem to some extent. Mint click here or Ubuntu click here. G

peterjuerges 15:50 16 Nov 2010

OK...my system built for me by palicomp some 18 months ago -athlon dual core...am3 7750+ - ge fORCE 8100 with 4gb ram.The win 7 ultimate is a full retail version .I loaded up 32bit version as indicated by windows check...the check also indicated that the load would be no problem...new drivers for stuff like tv card etc but nothung to be wary of. The win7 loaded well first time and ran for the best part of a day without issue.I have not tried 62 bit as I know this is a 32bit system.

I looked at Ajar and the issues are probably similar but his was related to a new build...I have checked memory etc and all OK

GaT7 16:05 16 Nov 2010

Try a Win7 32-bit install with only the bare minimum installed - i.e. hard drive & graphics card. Leave out any other internal (TV card for one) and external USB hardware (ext. HDD, printer, scanner, etc).

If no joy with the above, try the 64-bit install, again using the bare minimum only. A suitable CPU is the main ingredient needed to run a 64-bit OS, & your CPU meets that requirement. There's a small chance some of your software, internal & external hardware won't run in 64-bit, but we'll only know for sure once installed & tried firsthand.

If that doesn't work either, check your RAM & hard drive. For the RAM use Memntest86+ click here & for the hard drive, the manufacturer's diagnostics tool (let us know the brand & model if you need help in locating this).

Also, please let me know where you bought the Win7 from. G

peterjuerges 23:18 16 Nov 2010

Crossbow7 excellent stuff...I stripped the system down to the bare bones and then tried to reload win7 and hey presto...all seems to be working...now comes the long slow job of loading stuff back in without upsetting things again. Thanks for the support guys.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

50 best online Adobe XD tutorials

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment connecter un MacBook à une TV ?