Windows Xplorer not working since update

Mysticnas 18:35 05 Apr 2007

Hi all,

I went to shut down my pc last night and it came up with a Install Updates then Shut Down prompt. So i clicked ok and went off to bed thinking that the pc will shut itself down eventually.

Woke up this morning and it was still on at the same screen, 'installing updates - do not switch off'.

So i left it and went to work. When i came back it was off. I thought great, it's done. Then I noticed my alarm clock was saying 2am. I think there must have been a power cut.

So now it's booting up but not opening up anything. I mean it gets to desktop but i can't open any programs, nothing from desktop or from start menu. Task Manager doesn't come up either.

What's happened?

I've tried system restore, from safe mode but it didn't fix the problem.

Any sugesstions?

Thanks all.

skidzy 18:37 05 Apr 2007

Safemode and Last Known good Configuration ?

Mysticnas 18:44 05 Apr 2007

Tried that. Didn't work. :o(

Mysticnas 20:00 05 Apr 2007

bump.

Technotiger 20:15 05 Apr 2007

Hi, if it is XP and you have the CD, perhaps you could try booting with the CD and maybe use Repair.

Mysticnas 20:16 05 Apr 2007

Yes sorry, it's XP Pro SP2. Do you mean the repair console?

VoG II 20:17 05 Apr 2007
  Mysticnas 11:21 06 Apr 2007

Right thanks guys, i tried that repair. It gets stuff done in pre OS setup and then reboots. All looks to be going well, and then on "installing windows - installing devices" it hangs at 34mins. Has been hanging there since last night.

Any ideas?

Do you think the drives knackered when i had the power cut??? I've got two spare IDE RAID sockets left, i'm going to try and install windows again on some new drives. Such a pain. :o(

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?