Windows XP3 refuses to install

Together 18:01 31 May 2008

I have tried several times to download SP3, using microsoft updates and then the download centre (as advised in KB950718). It downloads OK, but then refuses to install. Soon after starting, the message appears "There is not enough disk space on C to install SP3 The setup requires a minium of 1 additional MB...... Free additional space and try again."
Note this says "C drive" My C is a recovery partition and Windows is in H drive, where there is GBs of free space. The download took place to a temporary folder in H, which now has a i386 folder and the uninstall folder seems to be there too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

L_Driver 18:32 31 May 2008

Can`t help with why it won`t install but can say that SP3 upgrade for myself caused several issues. eg Sys Restore would not display, IE7 would not install and Windows Update page would present a blank page for me. I was informed by several sources that SP3 has for some users messed up registry permissions. I believe this is what happened to myself. My advice .. wait a few months til MS sort out issues with SP3 !

Sea Urchin 18:49 31 May 2008

A suggestion which might help

click here

Sea Urchin 18:51 31 May 2008

On reading it again I don't think it will help - sorry. You presumably need a way to point the installation to drive H but I wouldn't know how.

gengiscant 19:00 31 May 2008

Don't install.This sevice pack is crap.

rdave13 19:02 31 May 2008

Why is 'C' drive the recovery partition and Windows on 'H'?
Default drive for Windows usually 'C' drive. Try changing the partition or drive name.

Together 19:30 31 May 2008

rdave13
As supplied, the computer used the C drive for the hard disk, but after 2 years there was a major problem necessitating re-installation. Using the manufacturer's recovery disk made C a fairly small recovery partition and the rest of the hard disk (drive H) for Windows and everything else.
(This made my image back-up unusable, so it took weeks to get back to normal.)
With so much on H, including the SP3 download, I'm reluctant to risk fouling it up, but thanks for your suggestion.

rdave13 19:53 31 May 2008

In that case I'd forget the SP3 for now and make a secondary backup to DVD's of all your important documents, files etc. Just in-case.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?