Windows XP - is Word included ?

Tinkey Winkey 19:23 10 Aug 2004

Is Word included with XP or is it just Notepad ?

jonnytub 19:24 10 Aug 2004

just norepad, you gotta buy word or why not use one of the very good free alternatives

VoG II 19:25 10 Aug 2004

Just Notepad and Wordpad.

For Word you need to buy Microsoft Office or Microsoft Works.

THE TERMINATOR 19:32 10 Aug 2004

Or you can get Open Office that is compatible with Ms Office and SmartSuiteclick here ....TT

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 20:12 10 Aug 2004

Free Office suites :-
Openoffice click here
602pro click here

powerless 20:20 10 Aug 2004

Cannot you buy Word on it's own? Thought ya' could?

bremner 20:35 10 Aug 2004

Yes you can click here

Tinkey Winkey 20:50 10 Aug 2004

Many thanks again to all you helpful PCA members !

I will try some of the alternatives before deciding whether to pay out yet again to Microsoft !

I think it's outrageous that such a basic everyday program like this isn't included with XP and yet they include a Video-editor!

Shame on Microsoft.

Simsy 11:32 11 Aug 2004

"Word" is much more than a "basic everyday program", it's very powerful Programme. "Wordpad", which is included, is a "basic everyday programme".

The other, free ones suggested are very good for basic use.

Your comparison with the video editor is a very good point that I hadn't heard, or though of, before!

Regards,

Simsy

GRFT 13:08 11 Aug 2004

I don't recall Word (or any other Office component) being included in a previous version of Windows - so why should XP be any different?

Stuartli 13:13 11 Aug 2004

In fairness, WordPad is somewhat better than most people seem to be giving it credit for in these postings.

Many will find it far easier to use as a basic word processor than Word, with which you often seem to spend half the time reading the Help pages or consult a How to Use Word (for Idiots, Dummies or whatever the case may be) publication.

In fact, I'll lay a bet that 95 per cent of Word users never use more than a fraction of its range of abilities and features.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Best of the Grad Shows 2017: University of the West of England (UWE)

Best value Mac: Which is the best £1249 Mac to buy

Les meilleures GoPro 2017