windows xp wont start up help

wayne99 11:22 14 Apr 2007

im having great difficultius when i turn on my windows xp and it starts up the blue line just underneath the xp start up stops it can take me hours just to get it going again some one plz help its driving me mad!!!!

Fingees 11:27 14 Apr 2007

It sometimes happens because the Hard drive has difficulty in getting up to speed.

It may help if you go into the BIOS and disable fast boot.

This will cause the computer to do a few more tests before trying to access the operating system, so giving the hard drive time to reach speed.

Worth a try.

wayne99 11:31 14 Apr 2007

thankyou very much ihow do i access fast boot for bios sorry to be a pain but this is my first computer and new to it all thankyou so much

Fingees 12:14 14 Apr 2007

Usually pressing delete when the pc starts before it gets to the operating system.

Although some vary, it should be in the handbook.

select advanced bios if it comes up.

Look for quick boot or fast boot and change to disable.
This is usually done by highlighting it, and pressing page down to change from enable to disable.

wayne99 14:26 14 Apr 2007

i have now tried that to no avail i will try to keeping plugging away though im losing my hair very quickly but thankyou for your help

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 14:30 14 Apr 2007

Forget FAst boot It wouldn't get as far as the blue lines if spin up speed was the problem.

If hanging at "Blue lines" then it is probably a
driver problem.

First see if it will boot to safe mode, keep tapping F8 as it starts to boot select safe mode from the menu.

If will boot to safe mode OK the definately a driver problem.
In device manager remove the drivers for your equipment (one at a time) and then attempt to reobot to normal mode after each one(start with graphics display adaptor).

When it boots to normal mode ok just reinstall the drivers.

RonB 14:56 14 Apr 2007

after starting another option is to choose "last know good configuration" on the menu displayed after pressing F8. If that doesn't fix it start up in safe mode and go to start- accessories- system tools- system restore and choose one of the saved restore points that worked. Any software that was insalled after this point may need reinstalling but you wont loose any files (docs etc) YOU created.

wayne99 15:50 14 Apr 2007

wow thankyou all fror helping me it amazes me thata theres really nice people out there it starts up in safe mode so it has to be a driver proplem ty all so much

woodchip 16:00 14 Apr 2007

When in Safe Mode, type MSCONFIG in the run BOX, go to startup Tab, you will see boxes with a tick, Remove tick for all other than Anti-Virus then try starting computer a Box will pop up put a tick in the little box to accept if it starts ok go to msconfig and put one tick back then retry, until it stops starting then you know what the problem is

wayne99 12:33 15 Apr 2007

thankyou you all my computer was the drivers it turn of to be the driver for my webcam!!! i thankyou all so much

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Best phone camera 2017

Stunning new film posters by Hattie Stewart, Joe Cruz & more

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

28 astuces pour profiter au mieux de votre iPhone