Windows XP wont start anymore

megmeg 21:33 28 Jan 2007

I was playing the video game, The Sims 2, which i have played frequently on my computer without trouble, when suddenly it is closed and an alert comes up telling me that a corrupt file has been detected. If i press "OK" it was close the program, or if i press "CANCEL" it will debug it. Well i guess i wasn't thinking and i pressed cancel. The file resemebled something like WINDOWS://mcs$ -- not exactly right though.

Well after i pressed that a little alert at the bottom of my computer told me that the file was still corrupt and i needed to run Chkdsk. When i pressed "run..." nothing came up and i even tried to start my game again but it wouldn't start because of the file being corrupt, and then my computer finally froze once i pulled up Windows Task Manager.

With no other choice i turn off the computer using the on/off button and turn it back on. the SONY logo pulls up, then the Intel logo shows, and then when the Microsoft Windows (with loading bar) usually shows instead a black screen with large white type tells me "we're sorry for the inconvenience but Microsoft Windows could not start properly..." It then gives me 5 options of how to start windows: Safe Mode, Safe Mode with networking, Safe Mode with Command Prompt, Last Known Configuration that worked, and Start Normally.

No matter which one i choose, the result is the same: the Microsoft Windows come up but the bar doesn't load, then in less than a second a blue screen flashes and then a red screen flashes (both with white type on them, but its too fast to be legible). then the screen goes black and the SONY logo pops up again, the cycle then starts over.

I tried turning my computer off, turning the power strip off, no matter what it doesn't make a difference. So now i'm on my parent's computer and my computer is turned off upstairs. if you have any suggestions or ideas please let me know!! thank you, i appreciate it!

Jak_1 21:37 28 Jan 2007

Try starting the pc again, if you get Chkdsk again let it run, it is slow to start with. If that doesn't work do you have the manufacurers rescue disk?

GANDALF <|:-)> 21:37 28 Jan 2007

Have you got an XP disc, if so a repair will fix your problem.

G
ps..any XP disc will do, it does not have to come with the computer and doing a repair will save all your files.

megmeg 21:50 28 Jan 2007

i can't run chkdsk because the computer wont even start up. i'll try an XP disc - thank you

megmeg 22:00 28 Jan 2007

okay so we have a recovery CD (we dont own the XP disc - long story) and we just decided to try and do that. we go through the recovery process and a blue screen pops up saying they've found a problem in my computer.

initially it says that "ntfs.sys" is the problem and then the second time it said "fastfat.sys" was the problem and now it said "ntfs.sys" again.

so if those are the problems, how do we overcome them?

megmeg 22:03 28 Jan 2007

if it matters i copied down some technical information:

STOP: 0x000000BE (0xF70D4502, 0X09ECB121, OXF78EE734, 0X0000000B)
ntfs.sys - address F70F11DE base at F70B1000, date stamp 3d6de5c1

skidzy 22:06 28 Jan 2007

click here

I think your going to need a windows disc to repair the corrupt files meg as GANDALF <|:-)> has pointed out.Unless you have windows on a hidden partition that may help you.
Try pressing F11 on bootup,hopefully you may be given 3 options to try.

megmeg 23:38 28 Jan 2007

nevermind, we found out my hard drive was corrupt so i have to go buy a new one :-/

Totally-braindead 23:42 28 Jan 2007

megmeg I have to point out a corrupt hard drive means that the data on the drive is corrupt, it does not necessarily mean that there is anything wrong with the actual hard drive.
You may be buying a new hard drive for nothing.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:38 29 Jan 2007

The master boot record is probably corrupt and can be recovered (along with all the data on the drive) by using recovery console.

Borrow a XP CD boot from the CD into recovery console and at the c:\windows prompt type fixmbr.

megmeg 02:52 30 Jan 2007

well my dad took the hard drive to his computer tech and work and he said that we should buy a new one and make it the "master" drive and the corrupt one's files all still work so that would become the "slave" drive and somehow it'd fix everything and copy the data over. well we tried that and the ntfs.sys problem persisted no matter what we tried (the recovery CD cannot seem to get past the ntfs.sys error) and so he's taking the whole computer in tomorrow to work

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires