windows xp wont recognise other microsoft programs

wollix 20:16 14 Oct 2005

ive reinstalled a copy of windows xp on top of an old one and it wont ecognise that i have word and excel etc onboard
when i find these files and click on them i get he following error message
Microsoft [excel/wordetc) has not been installed for the current user please run setup to install the application"
what does this mean what should i do

gudgulf 20:29 14 Oct 2005

When you say "over the top" of the old installation,do you mean you selected the Repair option at the setup screen.......that way you get a fresh install of all the XP system files/drivers etc whilst retaining all your settings and programs.

If you used the Install option what you have done is set up a fresh version of XP on the same partition as the old one.....In this case all your programs will not be picked up by the new installation.All the program folders will still be there but they are not installed into the new XP.

Have a look in Windows Explorer and see if you have two Windows folders.

wollix 14:38 16 Oct 2005

i tried to repair the installation but it didnt want to so i chose the install option
i have now managed to reduce the user accoutns to one the administrator file and i am logged on as the administrator
but when i go to use winword.exe
it tells me that "Microsoft [programe name] has not been installed for the current user run setup"
i thought the administrator could use any file
how do i get round this??
how do i run setup??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

See the work of famous artists playing with toys

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment faire une capture d’écran sur un Mac ?