Windows XP won’t boot up

ria 12:03 29 Dec 2008

I need some help in starting up a computer with Windows XP Home edition installed which will not boot at all. I tried pressing F8 after the single beep to get it started into safe mode and I tried to get into the Bios by pressing F2 or delete to make it start from the original XP installation disk. I even created a bootable CD using nu2.nu/pebuilder.
It always ends up with the following error:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
\windows\system32\config\system
You can attempt to repair this file by starting windows setup using the original set up CD-Rom. Select ‘r’ at the first screen to start repair
How can I do this if I can’t get even into safe mode or into the Bios set up?

chub_tor 12:09 29 Dec 2008

Have you set your boot up sequence to be CD first followed by Hard Drive?

Have you then tried booting the machine with your original XP Disc in your CD drive?

ria 12:12 29 Dec 2008

tried to get into the bios by pressing different buttons, but it won't let me

User-1229748 12:14 29 Dec 2008

what make of pc?

ria 12:21 29 Dec 2008

It is 'Tiny'

ria 12:26 29 Dec 2008

I looked for support on line and found out they have been bought out by watford electronics, so no help there

User-1229748 13:34 29 Dec 2008

you say you tried to get into the bios by pressing f2 or delete,are you not sure what key to press to enter the bios?

ria 14:13 29 Dec 2008

No I don't, it's my daughters computer.
I don’t even get the following option when rebooting the computer:
Press any key to boot from the CD-ROM or Press <Key> to Enter Setup
Just a beep, then a flashing cursor followed by the error message.

User-1229748 14:23 29 Dec 2008

here are some common keys,i've been trying to find the key that tiny use but i can't seem to find it click here

Pineman100 15:13 29 Dec 2008

I'm not clear whether you have actually tried booting up the computer with the XP CD already in the drive. If not, give it a go.

Another thought - you say that you've tried pressing F8 after the single beep. I usualy find that the best way of ensuring that you get into the boot options menu is to start tapping F8 regularly, about every half second, immediately after switching on.

ria 16:22 29 Dec 2008

Yes, tried booting from the Original XP installation disk.

I have tried all the common keys several times now, either holding down or pressing regularly. Still no luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Acer Predator 21X review

14 best picture books for children

Best podcast apps for iPhone & iPad

Les meilleurs ordinateurs portables 2017