windows xp won't boot

jeffp 17:42 09 Aug 2004

I have installed windows xp 3 times on my pc so far after about 3 days it stops during boot with a blue screen which flashes quickly on screen then restarts. i can't see the message so not sure what causes it. in safe mode I have run dr watson which says aolscd.exe caused the crash, but even restoring to before aol was installed doesn't help. I have to reinstall xp again. it seems to crash soon after installing kodak easy share software but this is not mentioned by dr watson so i don't know can anyone help? could it be a hardware fault ie ram chip maybe?

VoG II 17:46 09 Aug 2004

Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under Startup & Recovery click Settings. Under System Failure untick the box in front of Automatically restart.

The next time you should be able to read the error message. Please post the message here.

Gongoozler 17:51 09 Aug 2004

Boot Windows in safe mode. Click Start - Run. Type into the "Open" box the word msconfig, then click OK. In the window that then opens, click on the Startup tab. Click the "Disable all" button, then click OK and reboot the computer. If it boots correctly you will know that one of the startup items is causing the problem. Run msconfig again, tick a few entries and reboot. Repeat this procedure until you find which one is causing the problem.

jeffp 00:12 11 Aug 2004

I think my problem has been resolved. windows xp failed just after avg free edition of anti virus software tried to load up. I deleted avg but it still failed so I have reinstalled without avg free edition. Pc has been running for two days so far. so i'm hoping thats the last of the problems. thanks for the help.

Gongoozler 17:35 11 Aug 2004

Hi jeffp. I'm pleased to see that you have now got your pc up and running. If you are having problems with AVG in your installation, try Avast click here, also free for home use and also very good.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

See mcbess's iconic style animated for Mercedes-Benz

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Black Friday 2017 : date, sites participants & bonnes affaires