Windows XP very slow

John 13:37 04 Jan 2003
  John 13:37 04 Jan 2003

I have recently upgrade to xp home edition all appeared well apart from a few softare problems, drivers etc. Since installing SP1 my internet browing and downloading have slowed right down.

Is there anything I can do short of removing SP1?
Also how do I stop win.messenger from running. I have disabled it from loading in the browser and win.express, but it still insists on doing it own thing.

Happy New Year to all you problem solvers,

John

SDJ 13:42 04 Jan 2003

I too upgraded to Home Edition and was running fine until I went and Loaded SP1 then efverything went very slow.
I would suggest unistalling SP1 (Add/Remove Programs) but you should download the latest security updates.

spikeychris 13:45 04 Jan 2003

click here for the WM issue. Have you tried the repair option with IE? what version are you using?

Chris

worf 13:58 04 Jan 2003

Try here.

click here

Scroll down the page and you will see the services.
I found that when I installed SP1 it reactivated some of the services. Primarily Clipbook, Task Manager and Indexing service all system hogs.

Once you have disabled what you don't want. Go here and download Bootvis
click here

You must ensure that you have Task manager enabled to use it though. Once you have optimised then disable Task Manager again unless you are specifically using it for Defrag, Av scans etc.

spikeychris 14:02 04 Jan 2003

Excellent advise from worf. To add > if you are using IE6 you can repair the files that it uses with SFC (system file checker) Use the System File Checker tool to scan all of the protected files on your computer:
Click Start, and then click Run.
In the Open box, type sfc /scannow, (*note the space after SFC*) and then click OK. Have the WinXp disk in the drive first.

click here for a detailed explanation of what SFC does and how to use it correctly.

Chris

worf 14:02 04 Jan 2003

To get rid of messenger completely go
go START/RUN and then copy and paste this RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection windir %\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove
Click OK
Just remeber not to download any messenger updates.

worf 14:03 04 Jan 2003

Sorry m8 bit gobbledy gook that one copy and paste

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection windir %\INF\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

spikeychris 14:10 04 Jan 2003

I'm following you around the room ;o) Just one add on to your run command, you MUST make sure Outlook express and Internet Explorer is closed first before running the command.

Regards

Chris

worf 14:35 04 Jan 2003

Thanks spikeychris

AL D. 14:59 04 Jan 2003

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Xiaomi Mi Mix 2 review

What went wrong at the Designs of the Year 2017

iPhone X news: Release date, price, new features & specs

Comment regarder des séries et talk-shows américains en France ?