Windows XP User.USER-FCD5F1C3C8

johnincrete 09:10 23 Aug 2010

The computer was set up by the supplier and the file system has the main folder User.USER-FCD5F1C3C8.
Can this be changed to the real user's name?

It is particularly annoying when using path & filename in a Word document to identify the computer file from a printed document.

johndrew 09:55 23 Aug 2010

Are you referring to the 'User Account' as in 'Control Panel/User Accounts' or a user in 'Documents and Settings'?

It could be that the folder you refer to is the 'Administrator' account in which case you should log in as this and create an account either as 'Administrator' or in your name with full administrator privileges before you either change or delete it.

Many people don`t use an account with full privileges on a daily basis but create another account with lesser privileges for daily use as a precaution against data loss/corruption by malware.

woodchip 10:20 23 Aug 2010

Yes you can do this in Regedit

woodchip 10:22 23 Aug 2010

Think he means who owns it. when first setup this info is asked for

johndrew 12:06 23 Aug 2010

Ahh. My Computer/Properties/General.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:16 23 Aug 2010

Change Name and Company Information After You Install Win XP

Start/Run/Regedit HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion in the left pane.

Then In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOrganization. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK.

To change the name of the registered owner, In the right pane, double-click RegisteredOwner. Under "Value data", type the name that you want, and then click OK/Exit

johnincrete 06:06 24 Aug 2010

There are a few additional questions that reveal my lack of knowledge!
1 Should I backup something first?
2 If I change both the registered organization and Ownere, will it change the name of the file folder?
3 If not, is it OK to just rename the folder?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Alienware 17 R4 2017 review

Is this the future of VR and AR?

Best iPad buying guide 2017

Comment regarder le Bureau des L├ęgendes en ligne ?