Windows XP update refusal

ex-wirecutter 11:46 07 Nov 2009

After years of automatic updates with no problems , I am now getting an error message saying BITS is turned off. I have checked in services.msc and its quite definitely on automatic and started. What could be the problem please ? Also automatic updates are enabled and event log .

provider 2 12:02 07 Nov 2009

Can you get more information about the problem using:

Event Viewer> System> left-click to highlight Error> Action tab> Properties. (Ms help & support link there also).

ex-wirecutter 12:13 07 Nov 2009

Will give that a try when next on pc ( have to go out )Thanks

ex-wirecutter 16:12 07 Nov 2009

Have now been to MS help and carried out the suggestions for error code 80DDD0018 and find that although all services are reportedly working , Windows update says they are not . Have run malicious software removal tool and done complete anti virus scan . Running out of ideas . Understand MS are shortly discontinuing updates and patches for XP so not sure if I going to miss much , but would like to have the remaining few.

User-1229748 16:17 07 Nov 2009

ooops microsoft are continuing support for xp till 2014

provider 2 10:13 08 Nov 2009

Could be that a .dll needs to be re-registered which could require all sorts of obscure procedures but a quick fix that works and has a good reputation is Dial-a-Fix click here

Worth a try, anyway.

provider 2 10:53 08 Nov 2009

... and/or you may want to ensure you have the latest Windows Update Agent click here

As smackheadz says, I think Ms will be issuing updates for XP for years yet, and patches for IE 8 (and its successor) will continue anyway whether or not you are running it on XP.

provider 2 11:07 08 Nov 2009

... or re-install Bits: click here

I`ll go away now ...

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?