Windows XP update KB908531 problem

Dumble452 12:53 15 Apr 2006

After installing the recent crop of Windows updates I can no longer access the display settings by right clicking on the desktop, the computer just freezes. I have tried via Control Panel and this seems to work. By a process of elimination KB908531 appears to be the problem. A further problem is that the Canon Easy Web Print function now no longer works and I'm getting a script error message. I'm using Windows XP SP2 and Trend Micro PC-cillin Internet Security 14. Is anyone else experiencing problems since updating?

Stuartli 13:28 15 Apr 2006

Firstly, did you download the correct version?

Secondly, I had some problems downloading this particular update (not the first time I might add).

ACOLYTE 13:33 15 Apr 2006

I just checked and this update is installed but windows does it for me,i have had no issues with it,either downloading or getting correct version's i thought windows only downloded things for your OS? so i cant see how u can get a wrong version,unless you did it manually.

Coff 13:45 15 Apr 2006

KB908531 appears to be causing problems for quite a few people particularly those with HP hardware and software although its not restricted to HP hardware or software The update introduced a new file to your system32 folder called verclsid.exe.

There is a thread here about verclsid.exe click here

Newuser4624 14:02 15 Apr 2006

I am also having problems and Canon Easy Webprint no longer works, but I can get the display properties for my display.
I also have a major problem with KB911567 which updates Outlook Express. With the "fix" I get a message which says - The Address book failed to load . Outlook Express is incorrectly configured, please reinstall". As soon as I removed the fix it worked fine.
Sorry I am not solving your problem, but you are not alone. Reporting thsi to Microsoft seems impossible on their website.

Alan2 14:16 15 Apr 2006

KB 912812 appears to be the prime suspect for Canon's Easy-Web Print click here

a solution is being sought!

It looks as though most of the batch is flawed.

Dumble452 19:39 15 Apr 2006

Thanks, I will await developments.

arris 20:35 15 Apr 2006

I just tried right-clicking my desktop and it takes ages to open now.

Dumble452 23:22 10 Jul 2006

Will mark this as resolved. Problem seems to have gone

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

Fujitsu Lifebook P727 laptop review

Microsoft Paint set to die after 32 years

Mac power user tips and hidden tricks

Comment désactiver la saisie intuitive et paramétrer votre clavier ?