Windows XP and unresponsive Start button

Neill 18:56 21 Oct 2003

Visiting friend tomorrow morning and she has Windows XP with an unresponsive Start button. The mouse nor the Windows key activates the Start button and so when in desparation she shuts down via Ctrl+Alt+Delete the systems hangs as it "saves settings" , she gets fed up and unplugs the thing.
Any thoughts. Thanks Neill

WaiKent 19:17 21 Oct 2003

maybe something wrong with your registry.

Neill 19:51 21 Oct 2003

Do you think I should try reinstalling Windows XP? Wouldn't really know what to do with the Registry.

keith-236785 20:21 21 Oct 2003

Until someone comes up with a solution, use ALT+F4 to get the shutdown menu (if you have a internet browser window open, it will close that first then pressing ALT+F4 again will give you the start/shutdown menu.

or ctrl+alt+del then click shutdown on the menu bar.

good luck in solving it

alan 2273 20:24 21 Oct 2003

If you have got a My computer icon on your desktop double left click it, right click the C drive (if that is the one with XP on it0, left click Properties, left click tools, tick both boxes then left click start, you will then get a box up just click Yes and ten turn of the computer and restart it and this will repair the registry.

Neill 20:25 21 Oct 2003

I'll try this tomorrow, thanks very much

Neill 11:04 22 Oct 2003

Sods Law says that when you switch the pc on the next day it works perfectly which of course is what it did. Thanks for your help. I'll know what to try if it happens again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Elsewhere on IDG sites

OnePlus 5 review

Alice Saey's mesmerising animation for Dutch singer Mark Lotterman

iPad Pro 10.5in (2017) review

Comment booster votre iPhone ?